Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jrc384k

Firewire HDD Removal Problem in WinME

Hot swap my *ss.

Whenever I try to remove my Firewire HDD (Firewire HDD enclosure using Oxford 911 chipset with a Samsung UDMA66 HDD) using the "Unplug or Eject Hardware" in the WinME system tray I get an error message saying "The device 'IEEE 1394 Disk' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later". The drive to my knowledge is not busy and I closed all programs to verify this. This problem always happens. Even when I had a USB hard drive I had the same problem.

If I just go ahead and unplug it, I am met with a very unfreindly looking BSOD saying that data might be lost blah blah blah...then I get an error message saying that I unplugged a hardware device without stopping it first.

There are no drivers for this hard drive. It just uses the built-in drivers in WinME.

I tried the knowledgebase but as usual it gives me results that are nowhere near what I asked for (I even typed the error message in and got no results). I just ran out of free support from MS so I am trying here.

The firewire controller is on my Sound Blaster Audigy and it seems to work fine with my DV Cam (no Unplug or Eject Hardware tray icon for this device)

WinME already has this safe removal tool. That is the one causing me problems. It is either my drive or that stupid utility.