Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
valery

Resolution problem

Hi !

I have win Xp pro. I have 4 different sessions. I would like to use different resolution's parameters in each session... because my mother can't see what is on the screen when it's in 1024 laughlaughlaugh

It was possible under win 98 or Me but I can't do that under Xp !

Please ! Say me what is the way to use different resolution !

Thanks !

I remember it being possible under Windows NT 4 (each new account would default to something crazy like 800x600x16 colour) but don't know how it's done, or even if it's possible, under 2k/XP.

Please nobody else has got an idea ? I am sure that somebody knows how I have to do .... PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEEE ;( confused

Can't you just create different user accounts, & whilst in those accounts set the resolution to what you want it? I would have thought that if you do that then XP would remember the resolution for each account, the same way it should for backgrounds, themes, etc. I'm just guessing, as I'm the only 1 who uses my PC, so I have no use for creating other accounts.

Nope, XP and 2000 don't touch the resolution when you log in. One way I can think to fix this would be if you could find a utility with parameters that let you set the resolution when you run it. Then you could put this in each user's startup folder so each user gets the resolution they want.

I don't know of any utility like this, but I don't imagine it would be very hard to write...

Or failing that, howabout finding the reg key that stores the resolution, exporting it, then modifying it then finding the necessary commandline option to import the key automatically & put a different v. in each users startup folder.

Assuming that importing a reg key with the right info would do it, then this would seem to be the neatest way to do it, I just don't remember the commandline for importing reg keys - wish I did, as it could be useful in batch files, etc.

Thanks, I think that I 'll write a litlle prog to set my resolutions parameters when I launch my account. It's strange that microsoft hasn't thought to that ... It was possible on win 98, Me, ... why not under XP ???

Bye,

val

I found a project that should help you out: ResSwitch. This is just source code, so you will of course need to compile it before use. It is written as an MFC-class, so you can easily incorporate it into your own code as well if you're feeling ambitious...

IIRC from my NT4 days, the resolution isn't altered if the User is a member of the Users group (since they can't change the resolution even if they wanted to). You'll have to kick your user accounts up to Power User or Admin level, set the resolution and then kick them down to User level. Trouble is, M$ made User level much more restrictive in Windows 2000 (and presumably XP) so thats probably not an ideal solution to the problem (assuming of course it's a solution at all. I haven't used NT4 in such a long time my memory is starting to fade).