Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cynan

USB 2/Devices: How good are they?

Hi.

After having my main PC in my room for quite awhile and putting up with the noise it generates, I had a thought about shoving it in another room and replacing all the devices that need access (CD, CD-RW, DVD, floppy) to USB ones and running a really long cable to my room where a USB hub would be.

The devices I'm thinking of powering from it would consist of a KB, mouse, SB Extidy, CD, CD-RW, DVD, floppy drive, scanner and maybe a printer.

Now thats quite a lot. My question, is how long can a USB cable be? and would running all this off it (USB2 btw) be feasible?

Does anyone do anything like this?

I really hate the idea of anything USB... but the idea seemed like a nice solution.

Well the noise would always be there, whatever the level of it... any the idea is also to make more space too.

USB does have greater power but the distances you are looking at are unrealistic. Also all of those devices being USB would cause MAJOR interference. You may think that USB 2 pipe is HUGE but realistically it is not....not even close. Processor requirements and latency in all of those bandwidth devices fighting each other over that puny little USB connection would be HELL.

Look at water cooling if your so worried over the noice. I find it comforting. smile

Well the bandwidth was one of the things that I was looking at. I've not seen any USB2 card that can deliver the full rate/port yet, which sucks.

Thanks though.

I can play games off my USB 2.0 Hard Drive

Tho with a sound card, your better off with an intenral the Exitgy uses too mush CPU time

Maximum distance for an unpowered USB Cable is about 5mt's. Beyonf that too much interference. You can extend it with using powered hubs every five meters but.... Bandwith for all the devices you are talking about is out of the question there is just so much of it and they are a bit greedy (devices) about it.

However if the cost was not an issue, There is something called USBX from a UK company. It works as transmitter/receiver you plug your USB devices on the transmitter (client, where you want them) and plug the main station(s) on your PC, and run a Cat5e cable in between. Neat! Works great a bit pricey though. I used them for tight client CCTV solution smile

I do not have their address handy, but i will look for it and post it here.

USB is not SCSI. It eases the installation of devices for those who don't want to crack the case. In the future as mice, keyboards, parallel ports become legacy devices USB will replace their inputs. You will be demanding a lot from such a narrow bandwidth.

Agreed... with you all! lol. It was just a crazy thought that I had and I'm glad I've been pushed back away from it by all of you smile

Thanks for listening and taking the time to reply!

Even if you could get all your USB devices working as you wanted (despite bandwidth limitations), how would you get a cable sufficiently long for the monitor? Even if you could get one, it probably wouldn't work for more than a couple of metres.