Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pbuckne

Trillian the best or what?

I have a kid sister who chats. A lot. She used to use yahoo and msn and icq and all the rest, and this was killing her PII 400. Anyway, we tripped across www.trillian.cc. and it is some of the best lying (emulating, whatever) software I have seen, since it emulates all of the above (as I recall) plus a couple.

There are a couple of bugs, however. Anyone know of a better source? They update pretty regular, but I wouldn't mind something else.

I have used Trillian for quite a while now, and it works pretty well. There were only two major issues in recent memory that I can think of (running just one AIM or ICQ account would cause a memory leak and the constant battle with AOL as they would jack with their server "security") have been fixed.

I've been an avid Trillian user since Ver 0.625.

I love Trillian....the only bugs I've known of are because of AOL ****ing around with Trillian.

the newest release, .73 was released because Microsoft notified Trillian that there was going to be a change to the MSN service.

(How do you like that? MS HELPING the little guy!!! AOL just tries to prevent Trillian from working). If there is a problem, the guys work on it immediately. They've been known to release 2 or 3 versions in a single day just trying to catch up to AOL's sabotage.

You lose out on many features...like voice chat and webcam with Yahoo!, but for a no bloat/frills(Other than some awesome skins) chat program that can handle multiple ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo accounts, you won't find a better program.

And if you do, let us know.

Well, I dotn know if this a bug (or if there is an option to fix it), but it really makes me frustrated. When chatting with one person, and another person messages you, the cursor is moved to the new window that is opened. Other than that the program is flawless (something so modest should not hold anything against it anyways).

Quote:

I have a kid sister who chats. A lot. She used to use yahoo and msn and icq and all the rest, and this was killing her PII 400. Anyway, we tripped across www.trillian.cc. and it is some of the best lying (emulating, whatever) software I have seen, since it emulates all of the above (as I recall) plus a couple.

There are a couple of bugs, however. Anyone know of a better source? They update pretty regular, but I wouldn't mind something else.

I run all that on my PII 400 and it's far from killing it. SOunds like you kid sisters machine is in dire need of a reformat...

I'll use Trillian when they update their ICQ module to download contacts from the ICQ servers.

Quote:
I'll use Trillian when they update their ICQ module to download contacts from the ICQ servers.

yea, another good suggestion.

I am glad it is so popular. In reply to Admiral LSD (interesting handle, sure there is a back story), it was only when she was running MSN, ICQ, AOL, etc, that she was experiencing issues. That little PII is a solid little machine, 'specially with almost 200 meg of ram.

Quote:

I will use it when it also updates your contacts on the ICQ server...
used it for a while, going back was troublesome.

Quote:

I am glad it is so popular. In reply to Admiral LSD (interesting handle, sure there is a back story), it was only when she was running MSN, ICQ, AOL, etc, that she was experiencing issues. That little PII is a solid little machine, 'specially with almost 200 meg of ram.

Like I said, I run AIM, ICQ, Yahoo! and MSN all at once with no major issues on my Pentium II 400 (although granted, it's been O/C'd to 494Mhz) and I have no major issues even though I only have 128Mb RAM. I have Trillian installed but the ICQ issues are preventing me from switching permanently. One thing I noticed about it however is that it uses about the same amount of RAM as all 4 put together (after they've settled down)...

I use it too, although I switched away from ICQ as my main instant messenger a long time before I got Trillian, so I don't even use the ICQ emulation. The biggest issue for me, is that I can't send files over the Yahoo servers, only recieve them.

Unfortunately Yahoo seems to be the only decent messenger for the Mac platform, and my brother is running a Powerbook G4 Titanium (great little machine btw), so that's what we use to chat. Problem is I have to send him files by email, but he can send me files like a charm. I hear they are working on it for the next major revision though, which is great.

I'm not complaining though, I love Trillian. I tried it a couple years back, I don't remember the version number (in the 0.4 area I believe) and it was just too shaky to use, but the current version is excellent.

Just tried Trillian for the first time and i have to say its very wierd. Its quite a fantastic bit of software but i do have 1 problem with it and that is that when u want to put an icon on a message to someone, u dont know which icons will work on their end but apart from that it is great.

Quote:

Just tried Trillian for the first time and i have to say its very wierd. Its quite a fantastic bit of software but i do have 1 problem with it and that is that when u want to put an icon on a message to someone, u dont know which icons will work on their end but apart from that it is great.

The default Trillian skin sucks large amounts of Donkey extremities. I use the "Windows XP" skin myself (available for download from their site) but it looks a little wierd when your desktop uses the Silver theme and Trillian uses the Default (Blue) theme.

Have you guys tried the transparency modes? Setting it to near invisible can allow you to see more of your desktop. Found it interesting.

Well, ever since it first came out, and the very first build that my friend decompiled and took a look at and said u might as well send a message across the net saying "hack me, hack me" cause it''s programming and security was so bad, i don't trust it, although it has likely gotten alot better, i still don't trust it, also the fact that u are giving a 3rd party company your login information for each program to log you in, i would rather sitck with ICQ and MSN as seprate items. - just feels safer to me.