Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
badaro

Quake 3 + Intellimouse Optical

I've got an Intellimouse Optical (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/io_info.asp), and I'm having a little trouble with Q3. The mouse itself and the two main buttons work well, the issue is with the wheel and the extra buttons: when I start the game they're working just fine, but after a while they stop responding. Any ideas?

[]s Badaro

They stop working after you configure your controls. For some reason when you do that, directinput gets enabled and somehow disables the extra buttons. Only way to fix it is to restart Q3 and not configure controls.

I'm not sure if this would work (don't have Q3--why would I? I've got UT! :P ) but have you tried binding keyboard commands to the fourth and fifth buttons, and then binding those keyboard commands to the actions you want those buttons to perform in Q3?

Remember to disable "Enhance Pointer Precision" in mouse properties.

The latest version of intellipoint doesn't allow you to do that unfortunately. It seems strange that they'd take it out, but they did, and I really miss the feature.

However, it still affected Q3.

Quote:

They stop working after you configure your controls. For some reason when you do that, directinput gets enabled and somehow disables the extra buttons. Only way to fix it is to restart Q3 and not configure controls.

I did a little testing based on what you mentioned and I found out that:

- When I enter the game, without messing with the controls, the wheel works fine, but the extra buttons don't;
- After I try changing the controls, the roles reverse: buttons work, wheel don't.

I'll test ConQueso's suggestion later. BTW, Dazultra2000, I DLed the latest Intellipoint today and I have the "Enhance Pointer Precision" option.

[]s Badaro

Quote:

The latest version of intellipoint doesn't allow you to do that unfortunately.
Hit the drop-down box (in mouse properties, under buttons tab) and select "Keystroke..." then type in any regular key.

As far as the latest version disabling it, I doubt that, they're still advertising button custimization. What version are you using? I've got 4.00.0657. As far as I know, it's the latest. Might want to reinstall the Intellipoint software, or download the latest, if you're not up to date.

Badaro - I wasn't referring to the "Enhance Pointer Precision" option, as that is there even if you don't install intellipoint, but ConQueso hit the nail right on the head, and has also saved my bacon!

I had never seen that before. You've just made my life a LOT easier smile

However, the problems with quake 3 still remain frown

Quote:

Badaro - I wasn't referring to the "Enhance Pointer Precision" option, as that is there even if you don't install intellipoint

Sorry, I didn't know that. I guess I'm a noob with Intellipoint. smile

[]s Badaro

Disabling "Enhance Pointer Precision" is only a general thing that FPS players should uncheck. (as well as eliminating any other form of mouse acceleration). It likely won't help with the Q3 issue, specifically, but it might help your game (game in the "you got game" sense).

As far as a solution to the Q3 problem, the best thing I can think of is Unreal Tournament. wink