Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Guys which of these mice are best for FPS's?

There is somthing wrong with the links but i recomend the Logitech Cordless Freedom Optical. Both mouse and keyboard are cordless and mouse has a scroll, is optical and has a thumb button which is great for crouching in FPS

Neither. I suggest a corded mouse. 1) Cordless mice typically have a delayed response. 2) Cordless mice become unresponsive if they move out of the range of the receiver. 3) Cordless mice are heavier, as they carry the added weight of batteries. These three things will only hurt your FPS gaming. 4) IMHO, cordless mice are a waste of batteries (and money since batteries aren't cheap--and neither are the cordless mice themselves). This, of course, isn't great for the environment, and the money you spend on batteries equals less to spend on FPS games. wink

I would suggest the Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical (which I use), or the Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer. Both have 5 customizable buttons (can be mapped to almost any keyboard key, meaning you can actually use all 5 mouse buttons in most games) and scrolling wheel (which doubles as the 3rd button). Both are optical, meaning consistant movement without need for cleaning. And both (check back of box to be sure it's the latest version) have 6,000 image per second scan, meaning moving the mouse too fast will much less likely result in the problem associated with slower optical mice (most only scan at 1500-2000 images per second).

Don't be fooled into thinking that heavier mice are "better built" or "more solid" than lighter mice. Optical technology doesn't make the mouse's required components heavy at all. A heavy optical mouse is likely so only because the manufacturer adds heavy metal weights. I think lighter is better, especially in FPS gaming.

If you'd like to go with the Logitech brand (I much prefer Logitech's joysticks over Microsoft's, so don't think I'm an M$-only product fan) I'd suggest the MouseMan Dual Optical. I'm skeptical of the "Twice as fast, twice as accurate" claim, when it comes to the fast part. Each sensor can only compare its current image with its (and not its counterparts) previous image. I could see the dual optical sensors being more accurate however, but only on some surfaces which may return slightly changing images to the sensors, like maybe on carpet.

Keep in mind that the Intellimouse Explorer and the Mouseman Dual Optical are right-hand only mice. Whichever of the three feels most comfortable in your hand is probably the best choice.

dont go near the cordless mice for gaming, i made that mistake when buying a mouse for my 1.2 Duron, the problem is that its slow and also i let my little bro play unreal tournament and when the mouse turns itself onto standby you have to press a button to re-initialize the mouse and i remember once when my bro had left his character with a bazooka facing downwards and he pressed the fire button to turn the mouse back on and he shot the ground killing himself. LOL laugh

I use a generic 5 dollar PS/2 piece of crap, but hey I win many rounds of Q3 with it.

A conventional mouse is best for FPS because you can move far and fast with the highest precision. Trackpoints, trackballs, and spaceorbs are all awkward and unnatural they have their applications, but for speed and precision a standard mouse is best. For non-gaming I recommend an Addeso trackpoint keyboard (it's a natural keyboard with a trackpoint in the middle you never have to leave home row), but too bad they don't make them for the PC anymore. Just the Mac, what a bunch of friggin' idiots. Oh excuse I just checked their website now they're really stupid they don't even make their best product anymore. Unbelievable.

I'm no stranger to FPS games. I challenge anyone using a ball mouse to use one of the Microsoft 6,000 ips mice models (see my above post) for as long as the retailer's return policy allows--not that this matters much, as most will keep 'em! wink

I had a M$ Intellimouse Explorer and decide to go with a Logitech Dual MouseMan Optical. They are both great Mice but I will say that the Dual is a lot faster and I do recommend that one over M$.

Quote:

...I will say that the Dual is a lot faster and I do recommend that one over M$.
Faster? IIRC, the dual optical only samples at 2000 images per second. As each sensor can only compare it's own images to detect movement, I doubt the claims of it being "twice as fast". Even if it were, though, 4,000 ips is still slower than 6,000.

Quote:

Faster? IIRC, the dual optical only samples at 2000 images per second. As each sensor can only compare it's own images to detect movement, I doubt the claims of it being "twice as fast". Even if it were, though, 4,000 ips is still slower than 6,000.

yep
explorer is the bomb
i never thought back in the days of win 3.11 that i would end up liking ms products so much but they really have it going on now.
I love my Natural KB Pro also

OK Sorry to mention faster than the version of the Explorer I had. It was the original release.

I'll give you that much

ConQueso is absolutely right. Cordless mouse is good for the office, but a 'real' gamer needs a high quality mouse WITH cable smile

I use a simple Logitech Optical Wheelmouse (USB). Logitech really rocks, though Microsoft also produces good mice.

http://www.a4tech.com/a4techenglish/www-11.htm

I have to have 3 buttons on my mouse. Period. And they have to be on the top. This one has another one on the side but i dont use it.

What I like about A4-tech's software is that i can scroll a window behind the current one without forcing the behind window to come into the front and block the one i'm working on. The wheels also dont feel like they're rolling over some bumpy *** road; its nice and smooth and predictable.. a quick spin and I know just how far It will scroll based on how hard i spin it.

If batteries are your concern, check out this one that gets charged via USB adapter:

http://www.a4tech.com/a4techenglish/rfsop-35.htm

"If batteries are your concern, check out this one that gets charged via USB adapter:"

Still has rechargables in it. A Battery is a Battery is a poisoned fish is my lunch; So to speak.

^^^

was gonna say, rechargables.

i have the logitech wireless keyboard, and mouse combo back home, loved it, however, in FPS game,s if i was running forward for a while, and take ym finger off the key, my guy would still be running, as if the signal was recycling it's self.

Anyways, i would stick with a wired mouse, and keyboard for gaming for sure.

i have a Logitech wheel mouse - optical, and it reacts way to slow for gaming, even though it is wired. and i also have a logitech ball mouse, which rules for gaming.