Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
predator24

dual processors help???

i am runnung beta 2128 and i have two 350 processors in at the same time on a dual board. however, win2000 is not detecting the second processor, is there someway to activate it. need help???

The only sure way I know is to do CLEAN install of Win2k. I have duel system and it detected 2 CPUs no problem.

It is possiable that when u instaled Win2k u only had 1 CPU in the motheboard, if so then Win2k will nOT see your second CPU..

PS. What makes u think Win2k only sees 1 CPU ?.

1.: get the latest bios update

2.: clean install of w2k

3.: be sure to press F5 at the beginning of the setup to select a [multiprocessor machine]

------------------

hope that helps

Oliver

have phun and surf.to/comic

Carver is exactly right.

Are you running a giga-byte board by any chance?

You don't need to format nor do you need to hit F5. First if you go to device manager and get the properties of what's installed under Computer. Then click the driver tab and selct update driver. In here select display a list and select show all hardware of this device class. Under standard computers you can select MPS Multiprocessor PC. Then reboot. If you do a clean install and win2k doesn't detect that you have duel cpus there is definately something wrong. Check your bios and update it as mentioned above.

[This message has been edited by Seldzar (edited 26 November 1999).]

Update to Seldzar:

Tried out the "Change type of PC in device manager"-thing Seldzar. Its succces seems to vary depending on the other components installed in the PC. Especially some drivers still in beta-state (for SCSI and graphics e.g.) may prevent a succesfull boot after changing the PC-type.

So, just do that if you don't rely on a stable systems! (although it should function in most of the cases!)