Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

What do you consider the best computer game ever made?

Its settled, the best games ever are Freespace 1 and 2 laugh

Quote:

You've had that? I think during the entire time I suffered through DS, I almost died once, and that was in Hard mode, in that spot with the gremlings.

The rest of the game was easy, the ending was horribly easy to win over. DS is one of those "quick fix" games, you play it, you beat it, you remove it. I was never addicted to the game, and I've played almost every RPG there is, console or PC.
Ah, well you sound like a seasoned games & especially RPG games player, whereas I'm not. I don't play games much - not many hold my interest for more than a few days, which is why Max Payne is the only game I've ever actually finished, so far. Plus there's also the fact that in DS I tend to go looking for trouble, rather than find the quickest way through - I want to kill EVERYTHING. laugh

It's also possible my characters's abilities aren't as well developed as they could be as I'm not used to this genre & can't make up my mind about what characteristics I want to develop in which characters, basically I can't help wanting them to all be good @ everything, smile though it is turning out that some are better @ some things than others, but then I'm not that far into it, so I guess I'll figure it out as I go along. That's part of the fun of it afterall.

[*]System Shock 2

[*]Deus Ex

[*]Doom (all versions)

[*]StarCraft

[*]Half-Life

[*]Quake 1 (single-player!)

[*]Aliens vs. Predator 1 & 2

[*]Max Payne

[/list=1]In that order.

Anachronox without a doubt is the best game ever made. It is also the most underrated game in my opinion. If you havent played get over to a shop and buy it.

Warcraft series

Diablo 2

SubSpace

Crusader series (wish they had made the 3rd part..)

Worms... hours of cheesy fun!

Doom and Wolf3D

Command & Conquer series

bleh... there's just too many good games out there really..

I have three I liked

Desent 3 with dual Joysticks I know sounds odd. But it was fun And it helps keep my arm and hands as one. So I can do my glass blowing.

Masters Of Orion Just a good game. Waiting for the new one to come out.

Civilization 3 Memory Hog. use about 900mb of ram in later part of the game.

My list according to category:

Sports: NHL98 and Hardball 5 (spent too many years playing those two games)

FPS: HL + CS (too many sleepless nights spent AWP-ing)

Simulation: SimCity 2000 and The Sims

Racing: Need for Speed 3+4 and as an old favorite Test Drive III

Adventure: Anything from Sierra before '95 (Space Quest, King's Quest and Quest for Glory games)

For the classics.....gotta stay with my old Commodore:

BC's Quest for Tires

Arcade:

Arkanoid

PC:

Unreal Tourney

Doom I

Dark Force Series

GTA3 ( may not be my all time fave....but too much fun!)

cheers

My list is based less on personal preference and more on what they did for gaming as a whole.

FPS:

While Wolf3d was not the first FPS, it was the first one to become widely popular. One could make the point that it opened the doors for future 3D shooters. (on that note, did anyone play Catacombs3d? That game was hard as hell.. unless I just sucked laugh )

Quake was, if I remember correctly, the first FPS to use 3d models instead of sprites. For this reason it deserves honourable mention for helping to revolutionize the way graphics were done in games. ( I remember when Quake first came out.. I pissed and moaned about the crappy character models and how sprites looked so much better. smile )

RPG:

I dislike when people concider Diablo an RPG, so I will use the term loosely. But, Diablo was arguably the game that introduced "RPG"s to the average gamer. It is probably the non-role playing element that made this possible. The average player doesn't want to concern themselves with such "nuisances" as sleeping or skill raising... they just want to murder things. But, Diablo's "hack-and-slash" "click,click,click,click,die" gameplay was apparently what gamers wanted.

On the online side of things, Ultima Online was probably the first commercial RPG to gain great fame. A number of smaller MMORPG existed before and since but UO was the first that I remember to have become largely popular.

Sidescroller:

Unfortunately, I can't say I was around to see the full evolution of the sidescroller, I'll take my best shot at this. We might say that Mario Bros. was the impetus for the side scrollers, but I'm going to try to limit my discussion to PC gaming. The pinnacle, though, of PC side scrollers was, IMO, the Commander Keen series. While not the best sound effects or the most crisp graphics, CK had a great gameplay and a cult following (*denies he was ever involved... "DOPEFISH LIVES!"*).

RTS:

Again, while not the best, first, or the most revolutionary, Warcraft II was probably the first RTS to gain widespread popularity. It was due to WC2's popularity that WC3, Age of Empires and other RTSs become popular.

...and that concludes my list. My appologies to those games and genres which I omitted. Also, my appologies to anyone I have offended by my opinions. smile

Deus Ex

Thief

Thief II

System Shock II

Half Life

Unreal

Unreal Tournament

Jedi Knight

Starcraft

Diablo

AOE II

Rainbow Six

BF1942

Quake II

Doom

Hitman: Codename 47

Crusader No Remorse

Duke Nukem 3D

Command & Conquer

HalfLife

Tomb Radars(yes that’s right I love that game to bad it doesn’t work on win 2000 pro)