Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

Desktop icons all screwed up after quiting an application

Is there any way to stop my desktop icons from getting all messed up and out of place whenever i quit a game/app (e.g Q3/JK2/SOF2)?

I think it probably happens because i run my games at a lower resolution & refresh rate than my desktop, im not sure.

Need more info, video card, operating system, drivers version etc. Try upgrading your drivers...or if you're running detonators try the official version or other versions. I don't think this should have anything to do with your refresh rate, unless your whole desktop is changing shape. How are your icons screwed up?

GFX Card: ABIT Siluro 3 Ti 200

Drivers: NVIDIA Dentonator 28.32

The problem is that my icons get shifted from thier positions, like all over the desktop if I quit from an app with a lower resolution than the one im running my desktop at (I think thats the prob anyhow). Eg Quake III runs at 800x600x32 (60Hz) my Desktop is set to 1152x864x32 (75Hz). When I quit Q3 my icons have repositioned themselves all over the place, its really annoying!

Only odd thing is it doesn't happen all the time like that, just alot of the time. Hmm...

hmmm..I got a similiar problem. but I have no idea how to fix this.

Bascially my system had a sudden crash, partially due to forcing too many 'alt -tab' to check on my various messages and such from playing CM 01/02 GDI mode.

Only problem for me now is that, after the system crashed, my desktop went a little screwy..

The thing for me is that my icons now seems to be on a 256 or 16bit colors!

I used to use a 32bit color system which i still am using for my desktop, but nothing switches the colors of my icons back. Its quite a major eye sore. frown

My system configuration is

Duron 750

Abit KT-7/A Mobo

512 SD RAM

Gforce 2 MX 400 32

Win 2k Pro (SP2 etc)

Screen Res : 1024 x 768

32bit color settings

75hz refresh rate

All drivers are updated to the latest, or at least i think it is.

Anyone has anyways to fix it its driving me up the wall that I am unable to fix it and i have tried all sorts, resizing, changing of color bits, rebooting...etc...anything which i have thought off except for re-installing windows.

help!

frown

I don't think I've had this problem since Windows 95 even though I run stuff at a lower resolution and refresh than my desktop...

Diamond used to include a utility that could save and restore the positions of your desktop icons in their driver package but I doubt that'll help much...

Try Abit's latest official drivers rather than the detonators. And get This to fix your 60Hz refresh rate in 3D applications. I don't know how you can play at 60Hz that would kill my eyes. I always play Counterstrike/Day of Defeat at 100Hz 1024X768.

I hope that fixes it. I've had Windows 2000 for over 2 years now. Since I got it I've had a Voodoo Banshee, Geforce 256, Geforce 2 Ti, and now a Geforce 4 440mx card. I've never had the problem that you both seem to have.

I have given the suggestions a try, but it doesn't solve the problem.

Now my games went bonkers too ! :P

But ok, to run through the problem.

I'm facing some weird graphical glitch on my windows desktop, mainly on the icons itself.

It would seem that all my icons are set to look on a either 8bit or 16bit or maybe 256 colors for all I know ( I ain't too good with the colors thing).

I've tried from re-installing my graphic card drivers, changing of resolution, playing around with the icons and such. Right down to yes, defragging my hard drive. :P

Still I'm facing the same problem. Its quite fustrating really that my icons went to another mode where my desktop is set as 1024 * 768 at 32bit colors. the icons just do not change at all!

help! *getting depressed and fustrated*

Quote:

I don't know how you can play at 60Hz that would kill my eyes.

I played the Max Payne Demo at 15-20...

Quote:

I played the Max Payne Demo at 15-20...

Hehe, why? I didn't even know you could set a monitor below 50Hz. Must look real weird.

That's all it can put out at 640x480 and Medium detail on my video card (16Mb PCI nVidia Riva TNT, Diamond Viper V550).

It may be higher than that (20-30) I don't really know since I didn't do any rewal benchmarks. That estimate comes from what the 3DMark 2001 "lobby" benchmark was putting out (which was running at 1024x768 @ Medium IIRC). It didn't look all that wierd, just slow (I think I had VSync on which meant it was dropping every second or third frame to remain in step with my monitors 60Hz refresh).