Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
allvtec

XP and ME wont connect HELP PLEASE!!!

i have 2 computers, One using a XP os and the other a ME os both using 100mb nic's. Both computers go through a hub i use the wizerd to set it up that way on the xp coputer, I copy the thing to the disk after the wizerd is done so i can run it on my ME computer and i set up the same way, on the ME computer it locks up when i go to Network Neighborhood/Enter network but when i shut my xp machine off it works fine but dosnt see other computer(because i shut it off) and on the XP computer it see's the ME computer but when i try to send files to it it takes for ever like 1mg file takes like 10 mins or longer, and if i copy something from the ME computger to the XP computer it dosnt do anything. PLEASE HELP

First things first: Are you logging into the ME box with a username and password the XP box recognises?

As an aside, I had no end of trouble with networking under WinME. Network Neighbourhood would continually hang up while browsing remote shares (on a Win98 box). To add insult to injury everytime I went to change the network card driver (thinking that was where the problem was, it wouldn't have been the first time Windows has shipped with a faulty RTL-8029 driver...) the update driver wizard would crash, in some cases resulting in the need to reinstall the network files from scratch.

Yes it does, i can log into my ME computer but it is just slow as ****, usually just closes cause it takes to long, on my ME computer to XP computer it freezes up as soon as i double click on workgroup

Is the XP firewall enabled?

If so, it can cause this...

also, if you are connecting them directly (instead of through a hub/switch), make sure you are using a crossover cable.

try this as i find xp doesn't play too nice if you just use tcp/ip as your only protocol and you're going to do this without the network setup wizard. go in to your network configuration and add ipx/spx protocol to both machines also unbind file and print sharing for tcp/ip and lastly make sure both machines are joining the same workgroup. this should help you out!:P

last night i was up to about 2am trying to get it all to work frown i changed the settings for both nics to 100 full duplex, the netbios under tcp/ip on the XP machine i selected the second selection not the default one that xp has it set to. Deleted that reg key everyone talks about installed netbui off the xp cd and restared both systems. My ME machine dosnt freez up now when i go into network neighborhood/workgroup it sees the XP machine, my XP machine dosnt take half a day to look into a directory no more but i try to copy one directory from XP to ME or ME to XP and it says its going to take like 900 mins and about 3 mins into it i get a error saying system no longer aviable but i can go back into the network from ither machine with no problem just file transfer is slow. Do you think i should still try the ipc protical on both machines?

Ok i finally got home to try this ipx thing installed it on both system unstalled netbui on both systems put netbios under tcp/ip on xp machine back to default setting, on the me machine went into bindings under the tcp/ip prop's and unselected file sharing. Restarted both computers went into the network tryed to copy a 18MB file from ME to XP and it said 9mins then 2mins into it i get a error saying ( cannot copy (file im trying to copy) the specific network name is no longer available.) I hit ok everything disapears. Also seems like network is taken kinda long to search through agin. someone please help

are these machines doing anything else while you are transfering files? you've got the xp firewall off right? also try droppin the transfer rate down to 10mbps, and setting ipx/spx as your default protocol under it's advanced properties on the network config panel.lastly how good is your cable?

yes fire wall is off, i went under the me computer network setting and unselected file share from all the protoicals except the nic ipx. also selected the default box for ipx never seen that before thank you, im trying to send that file back accorss that took 9 mins now it says 5 mins does that sound right?

that file went though in 5 mins i tried to copy the whole directory 3gb said it will take about 829mins and i got a error 2mins into it saying server busy

Definitely doesn't sound right to me. It's a 10Mbit connection, right? that's about 1.25MB per second - there's no way an 18MB file should take 5mins - all things being equal it should [in theory] take about 15 seconds. 3GB should therefore take about 41mins. [unless I've made a serious error in my calculations :)]

ok something is deffently wrong then cause both my computers have 100mb nic's

To be more specific about the resolution that helped me the most is this one below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

6.) HERE ARE SOME THINGS THAT HELP CONNECTIVITY BETWEEN WIN2k/XP & Win9x/ME boxes:

a.) Speed up access to Win98 shares in Win2k

When accessing Windows 98 shares there is usually a delay, which is caused by Win2k remotely checking for scheduled tasks on the Windows 98 machine.

To disable this checking go to this registry key :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Explorer \RemoteComputer \NameSpace]

There you will find this sub-key :

{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

By deleting this sub-key the checking will be disabled.

One should make a backup of the registry key before deleting it incase one need to restore it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the post is worth a look too... cool

i did all that, both computers see each other i can send files ither way, but if i send a large file 6mb or bigger it says about 10 mins and 2 mins into it i get a error, network no longer available or busy