Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

$IPC what is it and do i need it?

What is the $IPC share, and do i need it? If not is there a way to perminantly disable it?

Windows 2000 Professional

Curley_Boy,

$IPC is InterProcess Connection (or Communication, can't remember), it basically means that the box you are trying to connect to doesn't recognise you. This usually happens when a Windows 98/ME user tries to connect to an NT/2000/XP box.

You can't disable it, but you have two choices, (1) Enable the Guest account (opens up the PC to everyone) or (2) Create a user account for the "guest" machine.

wink

Thanks

On a side note, i've never been able to connect to a 2k box from a 9x machine.

I've set up user accounts identical to the ones on the 9x machines on the 2k ones, but i just get the IPC password box pop-up. When its 2k or XP involved theres been no problems. Why is this and how do i get round it?

Here's how MS defines the IPC$ share:

Quote:
A resource sharing the named pipes that are essential for communication between programs. It is used during remote administration of a computer and when viewing a computer's shared resources.
Basically, you can think of it as the "root directory" of your shared folders. If someone clicks on your computer while browsing the network, they will get a list of the shares on your computer. This list is the IPC$ at work.

Making identical user accounts should fix your problem with 2k-9x communication. Make sure that the accounts you create are members of a group. You should be able to get away with making them members of the "Guests" group, but if not try making them members of the "Users" group.