Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SnapperOne

OK to write on CDs?

Just bought a bulk pack of CD-Rs. Unlike the other packages we've purchased in the past, there is no matte-white finish on the non-read side of the CDs. Can we write directly on the CD with a broad-tip magic marker or similar pen without the matte finish? If no, what's the best way to protect the CDs surface so we can write on it to indicate what's stored on the disk?

SnapperOne (aka Steven)

No, you should only use a proper CD pen. Inks in other pens can actually eat away @ the CD's coating, which you really don't wanna happen.

You got those super cheap bulk CD's didn't you? Like 100 disks for $20 or something? The ones with no writing, or matte coating on top, just the layer of aluminum completely exposed to the environment. Sorry to tell you but those things suck horribly! Probably half of them will be no good. And the aluminum layer will eventually peel off of a lot of them later, along with all your data. Do yourself a favor and stick to higher quality name brand CDR's (stay away from the "Music" CDR's though, they add on a "tax" that gets sent to RIAA). In the long run it will end up costing you more when you try to use those dirt cheap reject discs.

Davros.......

Picture me with tears in my eyes! Thought it wouldn't make a difference.

Oh well, look out relatives, you're getting silver coasters for Christmas.

Steven

lol, that's what i did with mine. Thought I could save a bit of money, but had to waste them on audio CDs for "friends".

They're also good when experimenting with different burning techniques. You know, when figuring out if something will work, use the crap ones instead of the good ones or the slow CDRWs.

Still, try them out, maybe they will work good for you. It depends on the particular batch and where they actually came from. Mine was a terrible experience though.

I have used them in the past, and they worked fine. I don't buy them now but I have burns from back in '97 or so that still work and the program names were written with Sharpie markers. The most recent burns that I have used them for were probably about a year ago and they still worked then.

The ink that is supposed to used on CD's, is a Marker/Pen that Conforms to the ASTM D-4236 Standard. For example, Sanford "Sharpie" permanant markers are compliant(actually says that on the marker),those are what i use. As far as having no white painted surface,it makes no difference as long as your not writing on the read side.

Hammer

Quote:

No, you should only use a proper CD pen. Inks in other pens can actually eat away @ the CD's coating, which you really don't wanna happen.

Just how much dearer are "proper" CD pens compared with regular oil-based markers?

Just have to agree with Davros on those cds frown They are horrible, we got some for work and authough they do work fine at first they manage to corrupt some data after about a week of use, and this is done on 3 different writers frown Man they suck laugh

Well I for one have been using those CDRs for a while now, and they have been as reliable as my traditional favourites, so no complaints there.

As for CDR pens, I used TDK branded "CD-R Pens", so I guess they are ok and up for the job :P

Quote:

Just how much dearer are "proper" CD pens compared with regular oil-based markers?
I dunno about US prices as I'm in the UK, but mine cost me £0.99

I can get phillips CD-R 80 32x CD's for around £4-£5 for a box of ten, so that's around £0.50 a CD. As far as cheap CD's go i do use them for unimportant data as they work out at around £0.10 per CD, that's if i buy a spindle with 100 on, the CD's are usually OK and i have had no major problems with them.

BTW, is there any difference between "music" CDs and "non-music" CDs? I have been using non-music CDs for music recording and even in the peak Arizona summer, they played perfectly in my van. I think this is a pure marketing hype. Got different views?

Both Music and regular CDRs are exactly the same. The difference is that Music CDRs cost more. Why? Because there is a surcharge that goes directly to RIAA (the Recording Industry A$$. of America). They are pushing the assumption that anyone who buys blank disks is a music pirate, and that RIAA should be compensated. So don't ever buy those Music CDRs!