Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hykster

Problems... very frustrated!

Quote:

Honestly, I don't see why the LAN IP subnet mask of the router would make any difference since you are crossing over the router (the LAN IP of my router has a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask, while the WAN/modem side has 255.255.248.0 and uses 24.160.x.x for the moment), and getting DHCP info from the modem to connect online. Just beware of disconnects because your ISP issues you a new IP and the router doesn't update properly.

Yeah, the router had a 255.255.255.0 mask and the modem was using 255.255.255.252. So I just changed it on the router's side because that's the default for MSN. Oh wellz.. it's up and running.

Quote:

Congrats Hykster!

Maybe the routers LAN subnet mask is applied to the WAN port as well? Can you change the two independently or is there only one subnet mask you can set that applies to all ports, lan and wan.

At least it works. I wouldn't screw with it anymore unless MSN tries something else to prevent you from actually using your connection.

I have the same unit, and the two are independent. Not to mention that I would imagine his WAN port would be set to use DHCP to get IP info from his ISP.

Quote:

I would imagine his WAN port would be set to use DHCP to get IP info from his ISP.

Yes, I figured that. It's just yucky that the router can't handle different subnet masks on each subnet, because that subnet mask limits him to what, 2 devices per subnet? Yech!

Check LAN settings in browser to make sure they are identical.

Mine is all boxes unchecked that is the setup from my ISP. Some require some settings be input.

My router is an SMC barricade and I had to clone the MAC address of the NIC that was registered with the ISP.That way as far as the ISP is aware of is the one connection.

"Do I need to use the Network Wizard prog in WinXP to set something like a network up to share internet connections through a router?"

No you should not have to.

Did you hook the modem up directly to the computer first and setup the DSL?

The ISP registers the NIC cards MAC address on their servers as having permission to access their service.After the initial setup is done, then put the router into the equation.

I am not familiar with that router, but SMC has a clone MAC address on the router, which lets the ISP always find that particular MAC address no matter which NIC is used after the initial setup.

Some DSL service providers actually have a setup wizard to do the initial setup for you.

I had something like this with a dlink router and it was with the WINS resolution settings on the desktops. If I pointed the machines to the router for WINS resolution I had connectivity. Without it, I got nothing but 404's.

Hope it helps :>