M$ users.......read on

original

sapiens74

/* No one makes you Use IE, or Windows Media. */

Yes they do, MS even tried to make msn.com viewable ONLY by IE

untill they got their hand slapped.

If you tried to view the page with anything but IE you got a page

telling you to upgrade to IE.

Its also obvious MS see's linux as a viable threat. We all know Mac isnt (ONLY because of its hardware price) because MS makes IE and office for Mac. They dont for linux (an open source OS that they could make IE and office work flawless on because they have the core code) because they know Linux has a future chance of being their downfall. and they also know if they make office for linux they are going to lose a butt load of money from lower sales of their OS's.

Its already been shown in surveys that alot of companies would ditch ms OS if they could get office to run on another system (but again mac hardware is not cost effective unless you are into grafics.)

On the other hand, Linux isnt going uphill very fast because its not user friendly for joe blow who just wants to use email or surf the web, considering you do have to have a clue, so you can setup security

and add apps (average people are gona say tar what? rpm..huh?)

So here we have 2 ups and 2 downs.

Windows is easy, but not stable, user friendly but causes a good deal of agrivation.

Linux is stable, but not easy, not user friendly, causes a good deal of agrivation but for different reasons.

I personally think MS is best set for the desktop and Linux for servers. desktops need to be easy, and servers extremely stable.

There you have it.

I can dream enough to wish MS death, but smart enough to see they arent leaving the desktop for awhile atleast.

But the linux server arena does keep growing.

Wow, I don't recall MS coming in and forcing me to go their (crappy) website or use their browser. I have been fiddling with Mozilla, and while I find their implementation of CSS2 support to be better (you don't have to minimize and maximize a webpage to get list images to show, for example) it's still the old Nutscrape browser. I haven't had a chance to work with Opera yet, but I feel that I might. However, if someone wants to format their content to use a certain application, then it is their right. Ever see a flash animation? How about a Quicktime movie? Did either Macromedia or Apple force you to download those plugins to see the content, or was the content enough incentive to get the plugins?

Ever see a flash animation? How about a Quicktime movie? Did either Macromedia or Apple force you to download those plugins to see the content, or was the content enough incentive to get the plugins?

Ah, but they aren't Microsoft are they? smile

If Microsoft decide to write their web site so that it only displays correctly in their own product, IE they they are "Evil Spawn" & "A monopoly who must be crushed"

However go to a site that forces you to use Flash and they are just cool and using nice web features that all should use.

It's only a valid argument if MS are at fault, or so it would appear.

This turns out to be a religious decussion on the Great Satan (MSFT) VS. all of humanity.

For those of you who pray to your AMD running, Linux Loving, Netscape is better, "fight the machine" machine, then there is no greater evil then a company who wants to have thier capitalistic right to have 100% of the market.

For those of us who could care less about religion in computers, we simply use what we think is best at the time. RIght now that is MS. IT might not be tommorrow, but until it changes that will be what I use.

Quote:

Ever see a flash animation? How about a Quicktime movie? Did either Macromedia or Apple force you to download those plugins to see the content, or was the content enough incentive to get the plugins?

Ah, but they aren't Microsoft are they? smile
If Microsoft decide to write their web site so that it only displays correctly in their own product, IE they they are "Evil Spawn" & "A monopoly who must be crushed"
However go to a site that forces you to use Flash and they are just cool and using nice web features that all should use.

It's only a valid argument if MS are at fault, or so it would appear.

Dear Lord, that's it! You nailed it bud, and all along I thought someone was searching for validity in these arguments, but now I know the truth. DAMN MS FOR MAKING THE PC PLATFORM SO POPULAR! DAMN THEM ALL!!!

;(

[heston]THEY FINALLY DID IT! DAMN THEM...DAMN....THEM...ALL...TO...HELLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!![/heston]

laugh

Uhhh, who in the bluuuuuue hell is trying to become the ******* of the forum

I don't mean to piss everyone off...

That was gold!

What the hell is this rip-off post frown

If you are intent on being the ******* of the forum, then you might as well just leave now...

I'm certainly not, but man, I thought I had no competition, but look now.

haha

Competition is normally good, but I dunno in this case...two screwballs fighting for the spot as the NTCompatible village idiot:p Pretty shady characters if ya ask me:D

frown

Who's fighting for the spot? Those days are over, I retired as the champion, but then BAM, someone challenges me.

So go to the Others section, where I have made some...interesting posts.

oh wait, videobruce...that's my friend, you know the one that showed me that if you installed DOS before Windows 2000, the gaming problems would be fixed.

Believe me....it's him.

Quote:

Erm,

Let me see......

I've been using Windows Media player (the free one) for a while watching music videos, system stutters.

I download the latest free RealOne (formerly Realplayer) and my music videos don't stutter and play much better.

No problem. So can I uninstall Windows media Player ?

Nope.

I want choice. The choice of what to have and what not to have on my computer. I think W2K is way too bloated and sorry, but can someone show me the differences between , say Office 95, 97, 2000 and XP ?? Apart from a silly paperclip assistants. What I'm trying to say here is we're being ripped off.

If NT had USB that would have been fine, but W2K gives me a ton of stuff I don't need and eats up a ton of HD space also.

And how have SUN been a big bunch of crooks, Bladerunner ??

I use Windoze because it's the standard. But we all deserve better.

First, you can uninstall WMP, just need a little work...
Second, why would you bother about WMP if you installed spyware from Real which associates necessary audio/video formats with it.
Third, you have a choice 'of what to have and what not to have on my computer' You cant force ppl to make what you wish!

'But we all deserve better'

It's not you who decides what you deserve, other ppl do like your family, friends, boss, school teacher, etc... If everything was the way you want it would be your world not others.

Quote:

Windows is easy, but not stable, user friendly but causes a good deal of agrivation.
Linux is stable, but not easy, not user friendly, causes a good deal of agrivation but for different reasons.
Errr.. not on my machine - XP is very stable. As to ppl being frustrated with Linux for different reasons... nope, same reasons - h/w compatibility. I used to have probs with XP, which I attributed to several things, including XP, VIA, ATI, & my old soundcard - a Videologic Sonic Vortex 2. Eventually i found out that it was all down to the SV2, so I replaced it with an Audigy, & now everything's just fine.

The last time I tried Linux the prob I had was that I couldn't get my SV2 to work, & that was even with the help of a linux "guru", I don't mean someone who just acts like he knows it all [he does act like that, but that's beside the point :D], I mean the last time I spoke to him he was busy making his own conversion of Linux for a non-x86 platform. Although, having said that, I think I read somewhere that there are now drivers that come with Mandrake [the version of Linux I would use if I did have a go @ it again] for the SV2, so I'd [theoretically] be able to use the SV2 in a 2nd box that I will most likely build from old parts just for the sake of having a fiddle with Linux.

I also know that the SV2 used to work with older versions of Mandrake, but they had problems with other hardware of mine, so linux isn't immune to the same problems ppl have with XP.

Same here Alien, I had my problems with XP...I was tested it since pre-beta stages, and even when it went RTM, I wasn't satisfied, but once the world caught up with it and came out with drivers, I haven't had a problem yet.

I would still have the same install of XP on my system (October 2001) right now if I wasn't so addicted to reinstalling Windows and fiddling around with optimizations.

I've only actually installed WinXP twice on my home system.

I purchased it the first week it came out and was extremely happy.

Then about a month after it's release MS sent me a free retail version of WinXP Pro due to some of the beta testing I had done - very kind of them I thought.

I'd also purchased a load of new hardware and as the version MS sent me was the full package rather than the upgrade I had bought I used that instead.

So here I am now, my current installation is about six months old and it's still as fast and as stable as it's always been.

Maybe some of these people complaining about WinXP stability should get themselves on to the beta tests, not only for the main OS but for the Service Packs too.

Then you can send your reports of instability and driver issues directly to MS for them to sort out.

During the beta test for XP I had numerous issues open with them and they kept me informed as to their status, they e-mailed me updated files which I tried and reported back on.

A spare PC and a little beta testing and you too can help MS!

Just fire off an e-mail to the beta site, more chance of getting on if you explain you are working in an IT department for a company and would like the opportunity to test before release.

Of get a subscription to TechNet Plus and then apply to be on the OS beta program.

Funny how all the IT people can work it flawlessly and the "know it alls" cannot.

I have installed it 3 times on my Desktop and 2 were for going from NEW MB, Hard Drive, and Video Card, and the other one cause I felt like a new install. Course' that was when I had a VIA MB.

Quote:

Funny how all the IT people can work it flawlessly and the "know it alls" cannot.
I'm not sure whether you were including me with that, but I'm not actually an "IT person" like you, Clutch, etc - I'm just what I guess you americans would call a natural-born-nerd. laugh
Quote:
I have installed it 3 times on my Desktop and 2 were for going from NEW MB, Hard Drive, and Video Card, and the other one cause I felt like a new install. Course' that was when I had a VIA MB.
I'm like jdulmage when it it comes to this - I just can't resist the urge to tweak or try things differently, which either requires a reinstall, or I make 1 of those really silly mistakes that we all do froom time to time, & it ends up being easier [not to mention quicker] to reinstall than to try & undo the prob.

Quote:

I'm not sure whether you were including me with that, but I'm not actually an "IT person" like you, Clutch, etc - I'm just what I guess you americans would call a natural-born-nerd. laugh

Wow, I didn't even write the original post Alien was referencing, yet I was included in the response. Damn, I rock.

:Plaugh

ALien, you weren't who I was referring too. I don't like pointing out names. The morons I am referring know who they are.

Quote:

Alien, you weren't who I was referring too. I don't like pointing out names. The morons I am referring know who they are.
I think you misunderstood me - I knew [or @ least hoped] that I wasn't included with the myopic individuals you refer to, but I wasn't sure if you were including me with the phrase "IT people", & was merely pointing out that technically I don't really deserve that label as I don't have much in the way of official qualifications in the compuitng field [or in other fields either! :D], & nor do I work in it - I'm just a computer obsesed nerd who prefers computers to ppl, as computers invariably cause way less problems! laugh

I did mean those of us who get paid to do this for living, but I will spell it out exactly what I mean.

Anyone who complains how Evil MS is, and shitty Windows XP, or 2000 is and uses it as thier primary OS is a ****ing moron.

I wish those of you who hate the very things you use, and in most instances pirate, would buy an AMD, Install Linux, and Post on other boards.