Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ConQueso

FAQ suggestion

Q: How safe is it to do any of the stuff below?

A: Nothing is technically 100% safe. Use these FAQ suggestions at your own risk. If you are using a work computer, contact a system administrator--preferably one who won't get you fired for gaming at work. In the workplace don't install and/or run any game or program without prior authorized permission.

Q: I have a voodoo card and am trying to get a game running that requires DirectX 8 / 8.1 / 9. My problems seem to be video related. What should I do?

A: IMHO, get a new graphics card. 3dfx isn't releasing any more drivers, so more and more future games will have problems with these cards. Though there are third party drivers (use at your own risk).

Q: My game says it's compatible with my operating system, but doesn't run correctly. What should I do?

A: Many games require administrator level OS access. Also, double check to make sure that your system meets or exceeds all applicable system requirements, usually on the bottom or lower backside of the games packaging. If you try using the application compatibility toolkit (see below) you need to be logged in with administrator privileges. Also, go to Windows Update (then click product updates) and check to see if there are new drivers out for your computer setup. Also try checking any "readme" file, or going to the game's official website or the game's publisher's website, and searching for information about the game, usually under "support".

Q: Is there any program that lists my systems specs?

A: The DirectX Diagnostic Tool should list most relevant specs. It's also usefull for diagnosing any problems you might have with game relevant files such as video, audio, network and input drivers. To use this tool, click start, then run, then type DXDIAG and click OK. Click on the tabs from System to Network, and look for "No problems found" under the notes section of each page. Troubleshooting is available under the "More Help" tab, if need be.

Q: My game (made for Windows 95/98/ME) won't run in Windows 2000/XP. I've downloaded the latest compatibility update from Windows Update and it still won't work. How do I get it to run?

A: Read this answer in its entirety before attempting a fix. First, go here and search for your game by clicking on the first letter of your game title underneath "Games - Index 0-9". Find your game and take note of suggestions. Be careful to note listings only dealing with your Operating System (OS), and to seach for multiple listings, as some games are listed more than once for the same OS. If that didn't help, try looking for the latest patch for your game, from the game maker's/publisher's website. If that didn't help to get the game running, download ACT (Application Compatiblity Toolkit) version 1.5 for Win2000 or version 2.0 for XP, or version 2.6 if you have SP1 for XP or SP3 for W2K. Log on as a user with administrator access. Install ACT and then run QFixApp (Click Start>Programs>Application Compatibility Toolkit>QFixApp). In the QFixApp window, click Browse and then find the game's executable file, click on it, and then click open. Now click on Win98 or Win95 (win 98 preferably) and then click run. If there are still problems, keep reading...

Q: How do I know if I've selected the correct executable file?

A: Find the Shortcut to the game on your desktop or by clicking start, then programs... It should read "Play [game title]" or just be the name of the game. Right click this shortcut and left click "Properties" in the window that pops up. Note the file listed in the "Target:" box, this is the one you will need to enter in QFixApp.

Q: How do I get my joystick/gamepad to work? (it tests fine after calibration).

A: Before you click "Run" in QFixApp (part of ACT), click on the "Fixes" tab and then change the setting (probably to unchecked) of the box left of "EmulateJoystick" (scroll down on the list to find it). Then run the game and try using the joystick.

Q: My game runs fine, except the keys seem to stick for a couple seconds, and/or the mouse has major delay.

A: Try checking the games' executable file's process priority. Launch game, and hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete (all at the same time), and then click Task manager. In task manager, click the Processes tab, right click on the game's executable file, and move your mouse over the "Set Priorty" in prompt that appears. Most games run best in "normal" priority. If above or below normal, input device's response can have significant delay.

Q: How do I know what the checked fixes in QFixApp do?

A: Click the name of the fix (not the check box) and read the description below.

Q: I've gotten the game to work. But is there any way I can run it without always browsing for the game and changing the fixes everytime before I load the game?

or:

Q: I think I need to have compatiblility for more than 1 executable file simulateously (i.e. a launch file and game file). How do I do this?

A: Get QFixApp configured to what makes the game run correctly, then, instead of clicking run, click advanced and then create fix support. Do this for any additional files as necessary. Now, all you need to do is launch QFixApp (and keep it running), and then click the file's shortcut, and QFixApp will use the compatibility fix settings for each file automatically. Remember to remove a fix using ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS before making a new fix for a file that already has fix support (it'll be listed as a custom database).

Q: The game works, but the sound is bad. What can I do?

A: Try setting your sound configuration (in the game) to its simplest settings (ie, no 3D sound, etc.) If that doesn't work, try this:

Click Start, Run, type in DXDIAG, click OK, Click the Sound tab, slide the acceleration adjustment to all the way to the left.

If this works, try exiting the game, launching DXDIAG and sliding sound acceleration one notch to the right. Keep doing this until the sound is bad, then launch DXDIAG and slide the acceleration back one to the left. Then readjust the in-game sound settings. For optimal performance, slide this all the way to the right for other games and applications. Also, see if your sound card manufacturer has updated drivers. If so, installing them may let you use full acceleration.

The game works, but the video is all weird. What now?

Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, double-click Display, (in new window) click the Settings tab, Click Advanced, (in new window) click Troubleshooting tab, and you'll see the acceleration slider. Slide the slider all the way to the left so that there is no hardware video acceleration. Click OK to close this window and the other display window. Run the game. If the game looks normal, quit the game and slide the acceleration slider one notch to the right, and try the game again. Repeat until the game looks weird. Then slide the acceleration slider one notch to the left (back to the most acceleration that let the game run correctly) and take note of where the slider needs to be to run the game. For other games/applications you'll likely want full hardware acceleration, if so, set it to full, and lower it only to play problematic games.

If this does not solve the problem, set the slider all the way back to the right, or try tweaking the fixes settings while keeping acceleration disabled. If you get the game to work properly, slowly raise acceleration as mentioned above. If not, remember to turn it acceleration back to where it was, so that all your other games will run optimally.

Q: I have a question not listed in or solved by the information above. What do I do?

A: Check the readme.txt file that game with the game for possible fixes and look for the official game's website for more help under support. Look for other questions I've posted below. This message is getting to long for me to add to, so I must post additional questions in separate posts. Also, try reading the answers to all of the questions as such info may give clues or solutions to problems you might not have thought applied. Also, run a search (click search to the right of "NT COMPATIBLE MESSAGE FORUM" above) for your game title and/or specific problem, using only key words. The solution may be in another forum thread.

Q: I've searched the forums, and didn't find any info that solved the problem.

A: Post a _new_ thread--_not_ a reply to this thread--in the appropriate forum. Give plenty of detail about the problem, the system specifications of the computer, and what you've already tried to solve it.

Q: DUDE! The game works fine, now. Anything else I can do, dude?

A: If there is game specific advice that you figured out that might save someone the time of going through this general FAQ a post on what the problem was and how to fix it would likely be appreciated by others who might have the same problem. A thanks below would be cool, too smile

Q: Why didn't Microsoft release ACT on the W2K disk?

A: I guess they didn't have their act together on time.

Thanks to all those who've helped me and others here at NTCompatible. laugh

If anyone wants to know who contributed, well, uh, search the forums for when I was asking the questions. Those answering them contributed wink

Version 2.5 is out now & works for 2000 sp3 & XP. go here to get it. Haven't tried it myself yet, but thought I'd let you guys know.

I've heard of difficulties getting it to run in XP, and it won't run in W2K until SP3 is released. This is why I still suggest 1.5 and 2.0.

I haven't tried either 2.0 or 2.5 as yet, but I'll bear that in mind, thanks.

They wanted to unify the 2 ACT'S as they should have been all long. I'm hopping that the application Compatibility in SP3 has been update majorly since they require SP3 for ACT 2.5.

Q: Have any good first-person shooter game pointers?

A: Drop graphical options in favor of framerate if need be, especially in multiplayer games.

Disable all forms of mouse acceleration (Start>Settings>Control Panel>Mouse) under the pointer properties tab in mouse properties (sometimes accessed with the advanced button). This includes "Enhanced Pointer Precision". Uncheck it. Mouse acceleration gets in the way of FPS aiming accuracy, as it doesn't allow for a consistant distance equaling a consistant rotation.

If you've got a 3 wide by 2 high insert/home/pageup/delete/end/pagedown key layout and use your left hand on the keyboard, bind home to move forward, delete to move (not turn) left, end to move backward, and page down to move right. Bind insert to lean left and page up to lean right (if applicable) This allows your thumb easy access to 5 keys (left, down, right, 0 and .) without having to reach over other keys. No other keyboard config allows this. Bind the rest to whatever works best for the game. This key configuration should only be used in full screen games, where delete won't accidentally delete anyting. wink

Quote:
Q: How do I know if I've selected the correct executable file?

A: Find the Shortcut to the game on your desktop or by clicking start, then programs... It should read "Play [game title]" or just be the name of the game. Right click this shortcut and left click "Properties" in the window that pops up. Note the file listed in the "Target:" box, this is the one you will need to enter in QFixApp.

Q: How do I get my joystick/gamepad to work? (it tests fine after calibration).

A: Before you click "Run" in QFixApp, click on the "Fixes" tab and then change the setting (probably to unchecked) of the box left of "EmulateJoystick" (scroll down on the list to find it). Then run the game and try using the joystick.

Notice how in between these 2 FAQs that there is a transition from "the game won't even run" to "the game runs but the joystick is screwed". My question is, what do you do if after the first question the game will still not run? Like does this QFixApp do everything you need, you just have to customize all of the checkbox options till it works?

I'm looking for sort of a troubleshooters guide of what to look at to make games work...

Quote:

Notice how in between these 2 FAQs that there is a transition from "the game won't even run" to "the game runs but the joystick is screwed".
Notice, how later on down the FAQ there is "I have a question not listed in or solved by the information above. What do I do?"

Should I add this to the FAQ?:

Q: I've read the first half of the FAQ, and couldn't find a relevant Q/A. What do I do?

A: Read the second half of the FAQ.

wink

I read the rest of it...

Add this Q & A maybe:

Q: Why the hell does the game compatibility list claim the game works right away (without any changes/fixes required) yet it fails for me right away...

A: Whoever submitted it never had a problem and therefore cannot help you solve it. You're so screwed sucker!

Q: Will dual processors improve my 733t Gaming $k177z?

A: No. The improvement provided my dual processors in gaming is barely noticeable. In game engines that support dual processors (Q3 engine based games) dual processor's will only improve FPS at 1024X768 or below. For games that do not support dual processors you may think that since the OS supports dual processor then your game may in some magical way be improved. It won't. There is an overhead involved in using dual processors so you will see either a decrease or an equal performance with a single processor machine.

In short: Dual Processors JUST for gaming is NOT a good idea.

Q: I want better 3D gaming performance, but I have an integrated graphics card on my motherboard and no AGP slot for a video card. What's the most powerful graphics card I can use without getting a new motherboard?

A: A GeForce FX 5200 PCI is probably your best bet, as it supports DirectX 9, has decent AA and AF performance (which shouldn't be limited by the PCI), and (in the linked case) has 128MB. They haven't put a top of the line GPU on a PCI video card (as far as I know) because of the limitations of the PCI. Do some research on how to disable the integrated video, before attempting to install a new card. Read and follow all warnings about work inside the computer's case for your own and your computers safety. Update to the most recent WHQL certified drivers for optimal performance. Be sure that your system meets all the video card's requirements: your mobos PCI slots must be complaint with the PCI card, and your OS must of course, be supported. Also consider that even with a new video card, if your CPU is too slow, upgrading the video card may not make newer games sustain adequate framerates.

Just a heads-up, but you might want to check to see which PCI revision is req'd by the Geforce4 MX line, I believe it's 2.2, which isn't supported by all boards.

Quote:
Just a heads-up, but you might want to check to see which PCI revision is req'd by the Geforce4 MX line, I believe it's 2.2, which isn't supported by all boards.
Hmm...

Some might be 2.2. The eVGA GF4MX PCI card is PCI 2.1 compliant, so there's at least one out there. I'll edit the answer. Thanks.

Quote:
Q: I want better 3D gaming performance, but I have an integrated graphics card on my motherboard and no AGP slot for a video card. What's the most powerful graphics card I can use without getting a new motherboard?

A: A GeForce4 MX PCI is probably your best bet. They haven't made a more powerful PCI video card (as far as I know) because of the limitations of the PCI. Do some research on how to disable the integrated video, before attempting to install a new card. Read and follow all warnings about work inside the computer's case for your own and your computers safety. Update to the most recent WHQL certified drivers for optimal performance. [edit] Be sure that your system meets all the video card's requirements: your mobos PCI slots must be complaint with the PCI card, and your OS must of course, be supported. [/edit]

ATI has the a few PCI cards

ALL-IN-WONDER VE (64MB PCI)
RADEON 7500 (64MB PCI)
RADEON 7000 64MB PCI
RADEON 7000 32MB PCI
RADEON 32MB SDR (PCI) (Video Out)
ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 32MB SDR (PCI)

would any of those beat out a G4 MX, - i had herd someone mentiona 9x flavour in PCI, but does not seem to exist.

I saw a Radeon 9000 PCI and a Geforce FX 5200 PCI at Best Buy yesterday....