Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tear

IIS 5.1 help?

I have installed IIS 5.1 and set it up to use d:\webserver as webserver directory. I made a testpage.html and it worked but when I changed the extension to .asp I got an 500 internal server error. Whats up with that? I thought IIS 5.1 would be able to run asp pages?

Have you ever written ASP pages? What was the code? Check the event logs and see if the ASP service has started properly, and make sure that you are up to date on your patches. Also, was there any other text in that error, or an error code?

Yes, I have written ASP pages before. But now all I did was to rename the html page to .asp and then I got a 500 internal system error.

OK, but did you do the other things I mentioned in my previous post? Post the your findings here and maybe we can come up with something.

I found this error in the event viewer "Could not start the MS DTC Transaction Manager." Maybe it has something to do with it? I havn't downloaded any patches since I'm only on dial-up, maybe I should do that?

Quote:

...and make sure that you are up to date on your patches.

Yeah, you might want to start download some of those patches.

I got it working now but after the server have been running for a while i craches and I get the error that there are to many users on the server. The server isn't even connected to internet. What could cause this? A friend of mine is running the same setup and have the same problem.

I don't know, just try uninstalling and reinstalling IIS on that box. Did you even get any of the updates for the OS?

The problem with IIS in WinXP Pro is that it only supports for maximum 10 users at the same time. And I had a php script that used sessions and somehow that script goot looped and the server thought that I had 10 users connected to the server so it shut down. smile I'm going for apache.

erm....

Quote:
I'm going for apache. I'm going for apache.

I dont think that makes a differences as far as TCP/IP connections goes. You are limited to ten still, are you not?

Why would I be limited to ten when I'm using apache as web server instead of IIS? The limitation is in IIS isn't it?

It's a limitation of the OS, this includes IIS as well as usage of share connections. It will more than likely extend to Apache when installed, but I don't know for certain.

I realise I could be misunderstanding you guys here, but are you saying that Windows itself won't allow more than 10 connections? Is this a feature of just web serving, or any connections? If it's any, then I'm afraid someone'e been giving out wrong information as I know that you can run an FTP server & have someone else connect to it with an FTP prog [eg FlashFXP], & then start a download going with Mass Downloader which makes 10 connections @ the same time, & have someone else connected as well with another FTP prog [either FlashFXP or similar], which makes a total of 12 connections by my reckoning.

I apologise in advance if I've got the wrong end of the stick. smile

I think it sounds strange to. I belive that the restriction is in IIS.

The restriction is not in IIS

Last summer where I was working, co-workers were developing a java migrating agent program. And one of the problems that they ran into was the TCP/IP connections for a MS Pro package was limited to 10 users.

Quote:

I realise I could be misunderstanding you guys here, but are you saying that Windows itself won't allow more than 10 connections? Is this a feature of just web serving, or any connections? If it's any, then I'm afraid someone'e been giving out wrong information as I know that you can run an FTP server & have someone else connect to it with an FTP prog [eg FlashFXP], & then start a download going with Mass Downloader which makes 10 connections @ the same time, & have someone else connected as well with another FTP prog [either FlashFXP or similar], which makes a total of 12 connections by my reckoning.

I apologise in advance if I've got the wrong end of the stick. smile

No, the workstation versions of all NT OSs are limited to 10 connections using the default MS applications (like IIS) and network resources (such as file and print sharing). Whether or not there have been some applications trying to get around it, I don't know. Now, having multiple connections per user is another thing, and that sounds like what you are getting at Alien. It sounds like you might have had 12 connections, but you had 2 concurrent user connections to those resources. That might be why you were getting confused.