Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
easyguy

No games to play in Win2k. Help!!!

Hi..I'm running Win2KPro build 2151 installed on E:\

I've updated my ViperV770Ultra drivers to the latest one and also the directx7 for Win2k

i can also run dxdiag.exe now and direct3d and the AGP is detected. Ran the tests and everything went fine. BUT the problem is, I still can't play any games except Quake3 which didnt ran smoothly either. There are pauses every now and then. Tried installing games like Tiberian Sun, GTA2, AOE2 and the same error msg appers. It goes something like this.

Program error.

XXX.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created. Can someone please help? Thanks.

Ok what drivers do you have exactly??

you should be using 3.53.

The only thing I can say is some games work some don't it's just fact. Some ppl are more lucky than others

As fir quake, press tilde (~) and type cg_draw3dicons = 0

taht will fix that hangs etc etc

i'm using 3.53 drivers...anyway i've tried all the drivers i could find but the same f*****g thing happens. Maybe it's the installation or is it the drivers?

you have a bad installation, computer overlcocked to hi, harddrive errors or incompatbile programs running in the background. a slim possiblity might be some new cih virus for win2k.

soem games u mentioned do not use ddraw or d3d and if they are not working that is def not a driver problem....

kill all the programs runnin gin the background using ur taskmanger and try it again. Im really in ahurry Ill write more solutions later.

Important question:

Are the games original or are you using copies to protect your original media? Most of the copy protection cracks call functions of the Win ASPI-interface, which has changed significantly from Win9x/NT4 to W2k.

Most of the Original-CD's seem to work, especially Microsoft games like AoE2 and others. Hope that helps!

PS: I'm not in any way connected to the BSA (Business Software Alliance)

PPS: I tested almost all the above mentioned games with Build 2128, DX7 final, NVidia 3.56 on TNT2.

[This message has been edited by Double.Jay (edited 12 November 1999).]

no wonder! i was juz thinking whether it's those stuff i downloaded from the net which are giving problems..or can it be my Celeron?

I'm using Celeron 400@600 by the way...anyone out there having problems with Celeron? okie then...i'll go get myself some original games to test..thanks..

When you installed 2151 was it installed as an update?? Did you install over the top of a previous install of 2k/NT4?? Is it installed on the same partition as 95/98/NT??

If yes to any of those, I had the same problem, I had to format to rectify this problem, I suggest you mebe do the same if this is the case

no...i installed it on a diff partition(E smile.gif..separated from Win98 which is on C:, I had another hard disk which is D:...so any other ideas??

Guarunteed it's the downloaded games, I have some of the same problems when I know the original game with the cd check will work. Oh well no loss. BUY the game =)

[This message has been edited by Seldzar (edited 13 November 1999).]

yes, i've tried running my cpu at original speed which is 400 at 66 bus speed. no diff!

anyway, i've tried some other games and u know what?!! they worked!(at least some)here r the list of what I managed to run. Quake3(no prob now..used the cg_draw3dicons command and it works great although I couldn't get it to work with 3.56 drivers), Commandos cool.gifTCOD(non-original), Sin(original),

CM3(yeah!!), MechCommander(non-original). yeah..that's all..still more to go...i think hte reason why i couldn't run TS and AOK was bcos the crack was not made to run In Win2K..that's all...only some of these cracks r affected i think...the rest like mechcommander r not..now i'm certain i have no driver prob cos i could run Sin with OpenGL like in Win98. thanks all..