Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Peterius

Dungeon Keeper 2 Windows 2000

I have windows 2000 and I just bought Dungeon Keeper 2 and even with the 1.7 patch it doesn't work. I've read conflicting things about whether Dungeon Keeper 2 is supposed to work. I've read it works under 1.7 which supposedly adds win2k support, and I've read you also have to install the latest MS compatibility update which I did. The issue is that the game installs fine, then I patch it, it runs fine, movies , sound everythings good....but then when I go to new game and click the check mark, instead of loading. It just sits there and I have to reset. Then the game won't start after this first time. I have to completely reinstall. It just shows me the clock cursor and then nothing. The screen doesn't go black.

I know there are people out there playing Dungeon Keeper 2 on their windows2000 box. Please, Please, could one of you help me out.

- Peter

It may be a DirectX problem. What version of DirectX are you running? What kind of graphics card and drivers? You may want to try lowering the hardware sound acceleration to see if that fixes it.

I have directX 8.0 but that wouldn't explain why DK2 won't start again after the first time? Do you have it working?

Oh and I have an MSI - Starforce 822 Geforce3 card with drivers that work but the company has lousy driver support so... I wouldn't have guessed it was a problem specific to my machine. I thought this loading level crash was a common win2k crash.

It has been a while since I've played this game, but I must admit I've never had a problem with it.

Well, not since they released the 1.7 patch as before that it definately wasn't Win2k/XP compatible.

You mention lousy driver support for your GF3 graphics card.

You also haven't mentioned what version of drivers you are using for this, but if you aren't already, pop along to www.nvidia.com and download the latest Detonator XP reference drivers.

They will work on any NVidia based graphics card, including yours and may well sort out some problems.

Bladerunner -

I downloaded that Detonator XP driver from nvidia as you suggested. It did nothing. DK2 still crashes exact same point. However, my DVD player then crashed later in the night. Probably an unrelated issue but its so easy to break compatibility on every single game and application I have just by downloading a driver. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Is this the fault of DirectX 8.0?

- Peter

I had it working but it would always drop back to desktop eventually authough some ppl see to have had it working fine. The only thing i found that actually seemed to affect it was lowering the DX sound acceleration as OLEerror suggested smile

I've play DK2 from start to finish under Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Works fine for me with the 1.7 patch except for the sound - it's a little garbled at times but then I have a Soundblaster Live! Value.

I agree with the others, if you have a Soundblaster try turning down the sound acceleration in the DirectX control panel - it may do the trick!

Actually if I turn off the sound acceleration completely, it will play. But it periodicly crashes and the sound cuts out completely at times. I suppose I should be glad the damn thing will run at all.

This is how you install Dungeon Keeper 2 under Windows XP SP2:

1. Full install Dungeon Keeper 2.

2. Apply patch 1.7.

(if you during installation get an error message saying "Can't run 16-bit Windows Program. Cannot find file..."

then go to Start - Run... and type regedit. Make sure the following key is disabled (set to 0):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation=0)

3. Install Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit 3.0 (use Google to find it - it's free from Microsoft).

4. Run the program and create a new database.

5. Click Fix.

6. Name of the program to be fixed: Dungeon Keeper 2 - Name of the vendor for this program: Bullfrog Productions.

7. Program file location: Browse for the location of Dkii.exe in gamedir.

8. Operating System Modes: None - Click Next.

9. Compatibility Fixes: select EmulateSlowCPU - Click Next.

10. Click Finish.

11. Choose File and Install and then exit the program.

12. Create a shortcut for Dkii.exe, choose properties and add -32biteverything in the Target commandline

(it should look something like this: "C:\Games\Dungeon Keeper 2\Dkii.exe" -32biteverything).

13. Run the shortcut to start the game.

I have been following this thread closely for the past two weeks, since I bought Dungeon Keeper 2 off Ebay. I am an old-time DK2 fan/player, having solved the game once several years ago.

Immediately after installing DK2, I upgraded to version 1.7, the Win 2000 compatible version. I also installed the bonus packs. For a while I tried the no-cd patch, but don't really need it, and disliked the way it aborted the introductory sequence.

I run Windows 2000 (with all the latest service releases) on a laptop and also on an older desktop. Continually crashed on the laptop, until I ran with the -nosound parameter. This is an unacceptable solution, because sound is one of the chief pleasures in the game. I don't know who did the voice for DK2, but it is brilliant. Another glitch on the laptop is that the voice was silent at all times.

I searched the web high and low looking for solutions. Finally I decided to try the desktop. Dungeon Keeper 2 works fine on the desktop, which has an older video and sound card. NO CRASHES WHATSOEVER! Total reliability. In addition, the voice works perfectly, and sound quality is excellent and reliable. The trick I think is in the sound card. If you have a very compatible sound card that the DK2 developers tested with then you will be OK. I'm using a Soundblaster of some kind, an older model no doubt, nothing fancy really.

If you do not have the option of trying a different computer or sound card, definitely give the -nosound parameter a go. I think you will find it makes a big difference. But long term, you really need the sound to enjoy the game...

This game is really great, and is worth an investment in another sound card. I think Electronic Arts would make a lot of money if they made a really good version three.

I would also like to add that I downloaded the Microsoft Compatibility Analyzer or whatever and tried working with it. Unless you are very familiar with Windows technology, I really do not advise fooling with this, and in regards to DK2, it was not really helpful. I really do not think DK2 has any problem with Windows 2000 at all, because I just got finished playing for 5 hours without any interruption or technical problems.

It's just the sound card you're using. A clue is how many sound options there are in DK2. Oh, I tried upgrading QSound, too, but the QSound web site isn't about helping users upgrade, it's about selling products.

I'm happy now though and wanted to share this info with other DK2 players out there.

Steps to take when installing DK2 to make sure it runs under Windows 2000:

1. Upgrade from version 1.3 to 1.7

2. Consider using an older desktop computer with something like a soundblaster sound card.

3. Windows 2000 runs fine with all the latest service packs and updates. Don't think you have to downgrade to Win98!

4. You do NOT have to disable Norton antivirus or any of your other programs whether they are memory resident or not.

5. You do not have to upgrade anything else.

Remember, evil is good...

On this subject... I have Dk2 running on Win 2k. Experienced some glitches when installing but got it running and it doesn't crash and works okay...

BUT!

I have noticed that sometimes I get a message "The Gods have accepted your sacrifice" for no reason.

I cannot seem to be able to attract Goblins, Rogues, Black Knights or Fallen Angels on the latter levels of the campaign.

The cheat codes don't work.

Anyone got any ideas about this???