Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmistry

P4 with SDRAM

Although I wouldn't go for one personally, I want to know if anyone around here has a P4 with PC133 memory? How do you like it?

3 words wink Dont...do....it

It will run fine and as stable as an 845 ddr board but you will totally kill the p4 running it with sdr.

Far I know M4Carbine no one has show this beside I getting one here real soon it most like lee show up here next week.

I belive this what I'am getting Intel D845WN motherboard I know for sure it going to be a Intel P4 1.6GHz oh M4Carbine it not SDRAM that kill P4 it RIMM or in case RDRAM hehehe.

Ummmm, I'm gonna disagree on RDRAM not being better than SDRAM on the P4 front SHS. Yeah, the latency is high, but RDRAM's bandwith spanks SDRAM. For office applications, the P4 SDRAM combo is fine, but for the performance of a P4, I'd just as soon go the RDRAM route, as DDR is kinda pricey right now.

I'd really like to see how you're coming up with the RDRAM killing the P4.

Also I haven't tested this out for myself but I've heard that RDRAM outperforms DDR past 2+ghz. I can remember at what speeds the RDRAM/DDR were running but looking at the specs for RDRAM/DDR I could see how it would.

And SDRAM on a P4 is a baaaaaaaaaaadd idea.

a P4 1.6 with 512mb pc133 sdram.

For gaming it is excellent, but for desktop apps it is appalling.

Only last night I installed my desktopx theme onto it off my other pc (dual p3 1ghz), went online for a game of Tribes 2, and had to come out to unload the desktopx theme as it made Tribes 2 run like a dog!

Also, heres one for you....

I have installed an eicon pci ISDN card into these pc's. On the P4, if I burn a cd (Nero) and am connected to the internet I find I cannot surf anywhere, if I have downloads coming down, they stop! Once the burn has finished, browsing, downloading resumes.

(Last time I buy a ready made pc)

I think I have been spoilt with my duallie smile

Specs >

Asus CUV4X-D,Dual PIII 1 ghz @133

1.25Gb PC133,1 x 75GXP 30.7GB IBM Deskstar ATA100,1 x Maxtor 740x 60GB ATA133,GTXP 3.02,Gef 2 GTS Pro 32MB DDR (nvidia ref) 23.12 dets

Yamaha 2100s int SCSI CDRW,Adaptec int ScSI card,Acer 52x CDRom,Pioneer 16x DVD A05s,iiyama VM Pro 450 19",MS Intellimouse Explorer USB,MS Sidewinder FF Pro2 USB,MS Sidewinder Gamepad Pro 2 USB,MS Internet Pro KB,USR 56k V.90 Voice/Fax Ext Modem,RatzPad smile

W2k Sp2 DX8.1 Sec Patches IE 6.0

-----------------------------------------------

P4 1.6 GHz with 400 Mhz Front

Side Bus, 256KB Second Level Cache

3 PCI slots, Graphic upgradable by AGP

4x slots, 4 USBs (2x front / 2x rear),

1 parallel, 2 serial, 2 PS/2

3 FireWire IEEE 1394, 1x front / 2x rear

Front Audio / Video In, 1x Front microphone In

512MB SDRAM at 133MHz

80GB Ultra ATA / 100 hard disk

16x DVD ROM

16x10x40x CD-RW

3,5" floppy disk drive

10 / 100 Mbps network card

6 - channel Dolby Digital Audio Controller

for AC - 3 5.1 Audio

64MB nVidia® GeForce3™ Ti200 4x AGP 23.12 Dets

Graphics with TV-out / Video - in

56K V.90 PCI DataFax Modem

Microsoft® IntelliMouse®

PS / 2 Keyboard with Multimedia Hotkeys

Windows® XP Home Edition pre - loaded

hmmm rambus kills the performance of the p4? never heard that before, and seeing as ive got 1 i can tell you that its far from slow.

Dosfreak as far as i know your right about that rdram out performing ddr at a certain speed thing. Its shown on tomshardware, where a 2.6/rambus beats a 3.0/ddr frown

SHS maybe you should go look at some comparasons of sdr/rambus and look at the difference. Sorry if ive mis-understood your post and taken it totally the wrong way smile

GREAT, I read this after building a P4 with SDRAM. I didn't know there would be such a difference, now i'm stuck witht his motherboard, and 2 256 mb SDRAM chips. I'd like to go with RDRAM, but i'm afraid if I brought that up, mywife would shoot me.

Oh well...

tough break gfrice, I guess SDRAM should be put to rest now.

RDRAM is fast for P4, but you have to install in pairs all the time, but with DDR you can have 1, this is very convenient and makes upgrading easier.

pmistry,

you wouldn't know anyone who would want to trade a p4 sdram mb and 2 256 sdram chips for the equavilant in ddr would ya?

laugh

Dont tell her. Sell your stuff on ebay so the cost is not as bad, then you can explain to her you sold your old stuff to buy the new

sdram vs rambus 64bit/16bit, 16bit latency is very high the only thing rambus out performing everbody on is memory bandwith benchmarking which not the same as ture memory test, a real memory test show rambus to much slow then PC100 and like point out to all you most benchmarking tools do not full up the memory and real memory test should be done in dos not windows.

Romer has that next rambus chip I think know as PC1000 or some like that it be getting upgrade to 32bit latency

For get Toms Hardware they dosen't know jack ****.

SHS sorry, your just wrong in this case, rdram is just so much better for the p4 than SDR ram, ddr is another story though.

RDRAM pimp-slaps SDRAM and DDR-DRAM in everything but latency, hence the major desire for DDR makers to go multichannel to catch up with RDRAM's performance in the bandwidth department. Ever notice why the P4's performance climbs with RDRAM? Well, that's it; the P4 gets strangled by memory bottlenecks and just needs faster memory (and more info moving per clock as well) to show its true prowess.

As for the testing, I usually see the bench-marketing apps running synthetic numbers (and RDRAM wins), but I usually look for Photoshop and 3D rendering numbers as my guide. RDRAM generally takes those as well, but I just don't care for RAMBUS in general or their desire to keep the cost of their memory inflated for so long that it killed any real chance for commercial success.

M4Carbine I know DDR is another story I would like to had a DDR motherboard but hey I'am not going to bit@h about what I getting after all it free, So only I need to get is new power supply and I'am set go.

In case it be big jump over my Abit BH6 P3 600MHz CPU.

I would have agree 100% not to long ago with you on this clutch.

RAMBUS in general or their desire to keep the cost of their memory inflated for so long that it killed any real chance for commercial success.

But that not the case now at lease not this yrs after all 512 stick of memory only cost as low as $150 to high side $200 depend on where live and if you getting it from local computer store online you can get them as low $122+S/H.

hey im only saying sdram is a bad choice for the p4, you seem to be saying that its better than rambus performance wise, which is just not true.

Quote:

I would have agree 100% not to long ago with you on this clutch.
RAMBUS in general or their desire to keep the cost of their memory inflated for so long that it killed any real chance for commercial success.
But that not the case now at lease not this yrs after all 512 stick of memory only cost as low as 0 to high side 0 depend on where live and if you getting it from local computer store online you can get them as low 2+S/H.

Absolutely, but when you get a product out to market the *initial* acceptance goes a long way in deciding the fate of the product. RAMBUS was milking the royalties for everything they could get for such a long time, that it just got a bad name. I can see recouping the initial investment over the first 2 or 3 quarters, but they were holding the cost up so high on an already expensive design (the chips have to be really fast to begin with, thus more expensive to make) that acceptance was bound to fizzle. After seeing the benches on the newer PC1033(1050? something like that) bring new life to all the P4s, it will be interesting to see what the price tag is going to be.

Knowing rambus your gonna need to sell you house, car and mum to afford it.

lol yes it be interesting to see what the new price tag is going to be on new RAMBUS memory I think your rigth it maybe called PC1033.

M4Carbine you forgot one the Wife.

PC1066, that's it. I was too lazy to do the math at the time...

SDRAM is pointless with a P4. I mean anything over a GHZ needs all the memory it can get. What's the point in having a Kick *** engine in the transmission slows it down.

BTW I am married and she recongnizes the fact that my skills, and love for computers makes money so she doensnt mind what I buy.