Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Palos

GF3 Ti200 or GF4 MX440 ?

I don't know what to choose smile

The price difference is about 50 € (US$60), with the GF3Ti200 being the more expensive.

The Ti200 I was looking at is the Leadtek model, with 4ns DDR memory, it can be overclocked to Ti500 levels with no problems.

Something tells me the GF3 is worth the extra cash, but this Nvidia marketing stuff (GF4 > GF3) is dangerously playing with my head smile

Suggestions anyone?

Stick with the GF3 Ti200.

It's a full card with everything in place rather than a cut-down card which you will get with an MX.

It's $60 more expenisve for a reason, it'a far better card smile

I've got a Hercules Ti200 and it's an excellent piece of kit, wont be trading this card in until the next generation DX9 cards start to appear.

Do not be fooled by the NVidia naming convention on that MX!

Ti200 all the way. The GF4 MX is cheaper for a reason and is basically a souped up GF2.

for me it depends on what rig you have, if you have a good processor id go for the mx440 and wait for the next gen of cards, yer the ti200 is better but you cant notice with todays games really, unless you play games at very high resolution. it runs everything well on my system,not sure what UT2 is gonna be like though.....

Taken me a while to get a pc im happy with!.....

Windows XP Professional

AMD Athlon 1333mhz on 266 FSB

MSI K7T Turbo Limited Edition Motherboard

768 Kingston PC133mhz Ram

40 Gig Western Digital 7200 rpm ATA 100 Hard Drive

Soundblaster Live 5.1 Platinum Soundcard

Sony 12x CDRW\DDRW Writer

Ricoh Combi DVD/CDRW Writer

MSI Gerforce 4 MX440T Graphics

Voodoo TV/FM Tv Tuner Card Nicam Stereo

HP Scanjet 6200c

HP Laserjet 5

Creative Webcam go

Samsung digimax 800k Camera

Cambridge soundworks DTT 2200 5.1 Speaker system

Sony Graphic equalizer

Cordless Headphones

Cordless Black & Silver Trust rechargable mouse

BTC Black and silver keyboard

Optiquest V115 22" (20" Viewable) Monitor Customized in Silver with Black buttons

Logitech cordless Gamepad

Sony Minidisc player hooked up to optical leads on live drive

4 port usb hub

ir receiver so i can control pc with a remote control

Silver server tower case with black buttons

hayes v92 modem pci

on board usb network

Im chuffed!!!!

Thing is I want to wait for the GF4 Ti4200, it seems to take forever to show up. I need a gfx card fast, cos Im selling my old PC, well parts of it, this week.

Can u handle having a P4 1.6 Northwood and a MSI 845 Ultra ARU and NO graphics card? LOL

I might ask some friends if they can lend me a cheap card until the Ti4200 comes out...should be couple of weeks at the most.

Quote:

DX9 chips? Hmm, could that be the ATI R300? smile

Personally I'm really hoping to see Matrox re-enter the gamers market with their DX9 solution.
As always with Matrox there are plenty of rumours floating around about their next card and if only half of them are true it will be an amazing piece of kit.
I hated the day I replaced my Matrox G400Max with an NVidia solution - that day saw my image quality drop and me entering the terrible, terrible world of NVidia drivers!

If Matrox fail to deliver then it will be ATI I'll be looking at, I want to get away from NVidia as quickly as I can.

And on the flip side of the coin....

Going from a TNT1 to a Matrox G400 I was happy. So so drivers (Opengl sucked at the time). www.matroxusers.com is a good forum. Unfortunately the G400 ran out of steam for me late '99. SO I upgraded to a GF2 GTS. Nvidia drivers MUCH better than Matrox's and have been so ever since. (Much easier for Matrox since their drivers only cover a limited range of cards, you could say the same with Nvidia but Nvidia has done well considering all the cards they have.)

Went to a GF3. Then GF3 T500. Went I get home soon to be a GF4 TI4600. I don't expect much from Matrox in the gamer market and I recommend no one else do either. In that way lies disappointment. Just forgetaboudit.

Oh, and I don't even want to talk about ATI.

Go with the GF3. That GF4 is worse than the GF3. Unless your short on $$.

The Ti4200 is supposed to be around the $199 mark, right? Right now I don't really want to pay $189 for a Ti200 when I can wait a week or 2 (or 3,4,5) and with $10 more I get a Ti4200...

I don't think the Ti4200 is worse than a Ti500, esp.if u can overclock it to Ti4400 levels and above smile

Lol, how about the Radeon8500LE w/128MB DDR...only difference between the LE and the 8500 Retail is the clock speed (250/250 opposed to 275/275). It has 3.3ns RAM so it can make it allright to 8500 speeds.

The prices is also unter $200. Plus is a full DX8 solution, better on paper than the GF3 Ti200.

Read some of the reviews for the Hercules 3D Prophet FDX 8500 LE, for example...this model has only 64MB, with 3.8ns RAM.

I got a gf3 ti 200 for 129 it has no s vidieo or dvi out but i don't use them anyways. my card lets me play everyone of my games @ 1024x768 with everything on max from dynamic lighting to whatever i need or want , but hey it's up to you i am happy with my card i don't want another card till another set like the GF5 [LOL] outs

Okay, here is a pretty clear review, backed up with figures (colour pictures too) smile

http://www.hardwaremania.com/reviews_eng/avsn/avsn1.shtml

Considering the 8500LE is way cheaper than the Ti500, I would only like to know how is the driver support. Do any of you have this card (or the original 8500), or have buddies that own one? Suggestions, experiences?

At the risk of being attacked from a few directions:

Currently I will not let an ATI card anywhere near any PC I own or build.

I have been stung too many times with sub-standard & buggy driver releases from them or, even worse, no new drivers for months on end even though there are known issues with the current set.

On a few forum's I see that the Radeon is no exception to these rules, people complaining about poor driver releases and as a new release comes out, within hours people asking when the next ones are likely to surface.

One ATI driver set release was totally optimised for 3DMark2001 for gods sake, they purposely dropped image quality just so that the cards would perform better under a benchmark program!

I just live in hope that once the DX9 cards eventually make it to market we have releases from many chipset manufacturers all offering good drivers.

Unless you have money to burn I wouldn't base your purchases on how overclockable a part is. Not unless you know for SURE that the part will last. Some times you're lucky, sometimes your not. I've picked my parts carefully when I bought a part for overclocking and so far haven't been burned yet. Ahhh, those 700mhz P3's @ 933mhz have been going strong for a year and a half! laugh

Uhh, damn...so much for the ATI idea smile

Hmm I need to reconsider...the longer it takes, the better smile Anyone seen a Ti4200 lying around, anywhere?? On the other hand, those LEECHES tax everything like a mofo over here in Europe, so Im curious how far from the US price tag of $179/199 it will get...

Well here in the UK I could source a Creative Labs GF4 Ti4400 for £233inc VAT ready to ship now or the ASUS for £258inc VAT, in stock too.

Not sure what kind of prices you are likely to get wherever in the world you are.