Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Palos

A good P4 chipset?

Ok...DDR RAM PC2100...do the modules have to be CAS 2.0 or can I use the CAS 2.5? I want to just increase the FSB from 100 to 133 MHz, keep multiplicator the same, and use a 1:1 ratio (memory:FSB).

That should give me 2.128 GHz

The board Im looking at more and more is the EpoX EP-4BDA (i845D), btw.

Just thought about it...even though the board supports "only" DDR266 modules, from a max FSB of 133MHz (x2=266 DDR), I could theoretically safely use DDR333 modules, enabling me to push the FSB to 150 MHz (300 MHz DDR). That would give me the magical # of 2.4 GHz (16x150) smile

If the motherboard will let you clock to 150, then it's worth a shot. If you have CAS 2 RAM at the lower speeds (like DDR266), then it should be fine at DDR333 even if you have to drop to CAS 2.5. I have a gig of Mushkin running at 150MHz at CAS 2.5 with no problems at all. Very stable, fast, and cost effective. Just make sure that the memory you get *can* run at higher speeds and that the motherboard will support it, or else you'll just be strangling the P4 due to its major dependence on memory bandwidth. Trust me, there is a MAJOR difference in performance from DDR266 to DDR333 for the P4.

Clutch, u mean if the motherboard lets me set the FSB to 150 MHz?

I think the EpoX does, from 90 up to 200 MHz, in 1 MHz increments.

The RAM I found is Samsung DDR333 at CAS2.5, I intend to use it on a i845D board, that is FSB266 (133*2)...does it make sense this way?

My SOYO lets me enter the FSB directly, and I am running at 150MHz at the moment. In my system I also have the option of setting the memory speed by using a CPU-to-RAM ratio entry. If I get a chance I will try to post the options that I have in the BIOS for my memory speeds.

Ok Clutch, Im gonna use the old 256 MB DDR266 CAS2.5 stick from Samsung, on a MSI 845UltraARU with a P4 1.6 Northwood.

I wanted initially to change the FSB from 100 to 133...will the RAM take it? It should...since its DDR266, right?

I would think so, yes. It should be just fine running at that speed.

I was looking at the Soyo P4 Fire Dragon as well...is this the one u have, Clutch? Cool thing is that is has an AGP Pro slot, which means I can use my old Asus Geforce 256 until the GF4 Ti4200 comes out smile

It's kinda expensive dammit...

The Fire Dragon runs on the Intel i845D chipset I believe, while mine runs on the SiS 645 chipset.

I must say this new Intel P4 1.6GHz with Intel D845WN motherboard (Yes that rigth it PC133 SDRAM) It rock's so far even when I run 3DMark 2001SE I see improved over the Abit KT7E with AMD 1.4GHz which should be fast then an Intel P4 1.6GHz by what I have read from all thoses called Hardware Reviewer (Note: I'am using the same memory PC133 SDRAM that come out my Abit BH6) in last score 5700 AMD vs 6500 Intel (Round about) but I got hand to AMD there encode speed to do MPEG to DivX is 5fps faster then and Intel P4.

Now this very interesting have acpi on and would you belive all my hardware device have there very own IRQ and yes this is Win2000 I though for sure it was going to h@ll nigth getting them off that d@mm IRQ9 thing that min folks have problem with and me to.

IRQ Device

1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

6 Standard floppy disk controller

4 Communications Port (COM1)

8 System CMOS/real time clock

9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System

13 Numeric data processor

12 Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint)

14 Primary IDE Channel

15 Secondary IDE Channel

16 NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200

17 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

17 Realtek RTL8139(A) PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

17 Intel® 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller - 2443 (Intel® SMBus Driver)

19 Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442

22 Hauppauge Win/TV 878/9 VFW Video Driver

22 Hauppauge Streaming Data Capture Device

23 Creative SB Audigy

23 Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444

Try running some real games and check the fps, something that isnt 3dmark 2001, it seems to worship intel. I dont see how a 1.6 p4 can be better than a 1.4athlon (speed wise) when using sdr ram.

I changed my mind again...

Now I want an ASUS P4B266-SE (LAN,USB2.0,sound)...can buy for €193.

My question now is: with normal PC2100 RAM is should be ok to run the FSB at 133MHz (instead of 100)? It should push the 1.6A to 2.1GHz...

To attempt further increases of FSB speed beyond 133, I should need better RAM, like PC2700 right?

Makes sense? smile

Quote:

Try running some real games and check the fps, something that isnt 3dmark 2001, it seems to worship intel. I dont see how a 1.6 p4 can be better than a 1.4athlon (speed wise) when using sdr ram.

Ditto.

Well M4Carbine I was doing just that man what a long night.

Some game score better on the AMD where other score better on the Intel the over diff was only about 2% other then UT in OpenGL with S3compmaps the Intel seen to runing smoother then AMD was when it come time to playing UT it self and score diff was 7fps higher on the Intel.

Note: all games run at 60Hz 800x600 and 1024x768 with no tweaking the video card nor motherboard nor win2k which mean I use only the stock default setting and I only install the very latest hardware drivers and game patch and DX8.1.

The biggest problem with AMD CPU is that they run way to damm Hot vs Intel we talking 20+ diff here.

AMD CPU Noload 111 with Load 118 (Stock Heatsink) Yes I try Copper Heatsink to it didn't come down all that much but it did help some.

Intel CPU NoLoad 77 with Load 83 (Stock Heatsink).

My Conclusion:

AMD win hands down at MPEG to DivX encode speed.

AMD win hands down with it low clock CPU that petty much keep up with higher clock intel CPU (Note: That depend on what apps your using or what games you playing).

Intel win hands down at lower CPU Temp.

Intel win hands with compatible with other hardware more so with lowend and highend capture card.

Games I'am going give it both AMD and Intel 4 of 5 star over all score.

That funny M4Carbine would say that 3DMark 2001 seems to be worship by intel from what I have seen it the other way a round now the real question is are thoses hardware review using over clcok AMD CPU to pump up the score.

Hell I though sure I was going get a lower score vs AMD 1.4GHz CPU in 3DMark 2001.

SHS ive got both amd and intel systems, 3dmark 2000 works better with the athlon and 2001 works better with the p4s. Just my personal experience from actually using them though, im sure others will get different results.

Bit of a silly argument really, its your money and you can buy whatever you want with it. I can understand sdr over rambus but sdr over ddr seems well.....stupid. Suppose you do get to keep your existing ram though and as long as your happy with it smile

Yes I do get to keep my existing ram.

Like I said I didn't buy it, It was a gift from one of the manufacturer.

I actually did go and buy the Abit KT7E with 1.4GHz AMD CPU being I really didn't want upgrade the memory at this point in time being ever time we turn a round there making speed bump in DDR and before long we be see 400MHz DDR which will need new motherboard just to make use of it unlike the old days where plan ahead on faster memory.

I didn't say anything about sdram vs ddr I know ddr is faster then sdram or maybe you miss under stand what I worte.

I have actually test all them but that only few hour though my loacl computers store not like a few days or actually own them.

That's a good question.

Are there any scores over at madonion.com (spit, still hate that place) taken with more or less default hardware, ie no overclocking at all?

I'd love to see how these systems face up to each other where people are not trying to up their score by another 10 by blowing accross the HSF during tests or using yet another revision of NVidia drivers.

Madonion.com is terrible yeah smile so much false info being given out by 12 year old 'hard core overclockers' just makes me laugh though sometimes smile

btw if you wanted to do some testing id be happy to do some on my pc at stock settings, its a p4 with rambus.