Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Avantar

Magic the Gathering

has anyone gotten Micrproses first Magic game Magic the Gathering to work in XP? I d/led the patches and put all exe's in win 95 compatibility mode but i get some dumb error looking for someting on my D: drive no idea what its for some assertion error.

Avantar,

I'm having the same troubles... I thought I'd seen the Win 9x compatability mentioned somewhere once before, but how do you activate it??

;(

I'd love to get it fired up and practice Duels against the computer before I drag my real cards out of the cupboard! wink

listen, to get magic running under windows, you have to install a patch which makes it compatible to nt-based os, you can find this patch under www.gamesdomain.com

if the error still occurs, try to install the game directly under c:\MAGIC\

that's the way it got it running

Int@rim

Has anyone got Duels of the planeswalkers to work or just the first version? I get it to install fine but it wont start at all

(I also have Windows XP)

I downloaded the three files of the Patch and installed it. I opened the file Magic.exe and it worked, but all the texts doesn't appear and when I'm going to start a duel, it goes back to the antique error (when the game was unpatched).

After that, I tried to open the file Duel.exe, which didn't work either (remember that, XP users?). So, I opened the file and it worked, but the error now is that the names of the cards doesn't appear (even their descriptions), only the mana cost.

Thus, that was all. What can I do to solve these problems? I really need a help!

I'd been hoping to find a solution to play this game in XP for what seems like forever, then I stumbled across this answer in another forum,

"If you're finding it impossible to find a copy of MTG, SotA, and DotP, I would note that the Home of the Underdogs has them, and would suggest going to http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1550 - you can download MTG from there, and it comes with SotA and DotP already integrated.

Simple instructions for getting it installed and working: Extract that somewhere, run 'setup.bat', wait for it to finish, then move it all to c:\magic\Program, double-click magic.reg to make sure it gets into the registry (setup.bat tries to do it but might not succeed or something), then download the unofficial 1.3.2 manalink patch (from the link on that page), and install that (It expects MTG to be in c:\magic\Program). After that's all done, you can move it where-ever you want, and just run magic.exe to run it."

This worked a treat and even solves the CPU speed issues. This game still rocks!

Important tips are: 1.After doing ALL the above run the game exe's in Windows2000 compatablity mode 2.Use Y/N to buy cards in town 3.If when switching between areas you find yourself with a blank screen simply left click once and the graphics pop right up.

ei man... I don't find the 1.25-patch for Magic The Gathering, can you tell me exaclt where can I find it?

thanks

I finally gave up trying to get it to run on my new system with XP and just went out and bought an old Pentium II just to play Magic on. My problem now is that I can't find any of the old patches for the "Assertion" errors that keep popping up or the patch that added the extra cards. Does anyone have the link for these - and could you e-mail the sites to me? Thanx.

My e-mail address is rschenewerk@earthlik.net

Try downloading the unofficial manalink patch from the link I've posted above if you already have the game installed ok. If not then download that and the full game with expansions (only 74meg) from same site. This works great with XP if you follow the instructions above.

I can get the game to run perfectly fine (well, kinda), but I'm having two specific problems (I've downloaded it from the underdog site and also downloaded the patch to it, but the underdog version already has the latest patch on it). I had it working fine on my girlfriend's computer (1ghz xp SP1) but two things go wrong with it on my computer (much newer running xp SP1); after customizing the wizard portrait after starting a new game, when it goes to the "enter your name" screen, it will resize the screen and the image will shrink down to a quarter of the screen and the text entry part has scrambled letters and you can't edit them. Pressing escape and retrying usually helps, and I think saving a profile does too, but that isn't the biggest problem. My problem is on the edit deck screen; the cards in my collection not in my deck simply don't show up at all on the bottom of the screen. I can still add in entire colors at a time through the add/remove color option, but I can't click and drag individual cards into my deck, and any cards I drag out of the deck disappear as well, only showing up if I choose to add all cards of a color at once again. I've tried all the compatibility modes and nothing has helped, as well as having it stay in 640x480 resolution. The killer problem is with the deck editor program. Any ideas? Could it be related to the graphics card? (ATI all-in-wonder 64mb)

Also, I just noticed that in the deck editor window it doesn't show creatures' power/toughness in the bottom left hand corner - there's just nothing there. I haven't tried it out in a duel since I noticed it, but power/toughness were working earlier before I ever noticed the problem with the deck editor screen. Finally, certain cards just show up blurry on the large display. For instance, I load the royal pain deck in the editor and creatures like llanowar elves and hypnotic specter show a blur, but the sengir vampire is fine.

I did the install that ShadowM suggested and I can run everything but when I start the program all the text is missing.

I have the buttons for Duel, Help etc but when I click Duel I just see 4 radio buttons. I can get into a duel by clicking the 3rd radio button and pressing enter (I have no idea what that button does) but then I have more problems.

In the duel a lot of the text is missing. I have card names and credits, but no text descriptions of the powers or attack/defence numbers.

Anyone else having this problem or know how to fix it?

Sorry to hear you guys are having further probs, as I dont have these glitches (even though I'm running XP SP1) could someone try these solutions and report if any do the trick. Good luck.

"If the deck editor doesn't show all the cards (If so I bet you're in XP), you should try to start magic.exe this way instead: Right click magic.exe, and use 'run as' to run it as another user (You may need to make a new user account first if you don't have a spare one). Two other less reliable solutions which have previously been suggested are:

1) Killing processes with ctrl-alt-del and retrying the deck editor after killing each process, until you have killed whatever processes is annoying the deck editor, or

2) Logging out and then back on as another user with nothing starting up automatically, and running magic.exe before running anything else."

Debrisslider wrote "I've downloaded it from the underdog site and also downloaded the patch to it, but the underdog version already has the latest patch on it"

There are 2 versions of the manalink patch, the officail and unofficail. As far as I'm aware the officail one doesnt do the trick for XP.

The process killing method has worked for me. Turns out it was ATI's Hydravision that was interfering with it. I've heard that the deck editor problem has to do with databases, but Hydravision deals with program window settings like size, always on top, etc, so maybe that was interfering with a graphic overlay or something.

Hey Guys,

I've just downloaded the games and followed the ShadowM instructions. I still can't get the game to work properly.

My problem is this: I enter the deck.exe and find that there are no cards EXCEPT the Air Elemental visible.

On top of this, the air elemental's card face has a black box over it + there is no text.

I've set all the exe's to Win 2000 compatibility, and i tried to Run As with a new user, but the new user profile doesn't appear in the drop down options.

In terms of what I'm running, i have XP homed, 2002, SP2 for a Sony Vaio.

any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys

Ghost

I'm currently playing the Duels of the Planswalkers, and I can get the uncommon lands to show up at all. ANyone know how to fix this problem??

hi there

i was having the cards don't appear problem when building decks, i've actually narrowed the problem down to two things,

abnormal pointing devices, and some newer graphics card drivers.

for me it was a graphire tablet, but i've read from others that their nvidia drivers were causing the problem.

this would incoporate all laptops cause of the tuoch mouse, as well as any newer mice.

what i did to rid myself of the problem i looked for the process that enable my tablet and shut it down as soon as i did the prblems dissapered.

thanks to all who replied and allowed me to piece this together

good luck all

P.S.

XP SP2

I am really getting tired of this.

I tried anything I found onthe forum + other stuff on other websites and I

am still unable to make it work.

When i try to install the game it say it is only for win 95.

I downloaded everything I could find from Manalink and patches and so on.

Nothing works.

Some downloaded files say Ineed to install MTG before I can install the files.

Doh that's just the problem.

Then i downloaded a patch 1.25 but that doesn't fix the poblem either.

Is it so difficult to give a clear step by step explanation on what should

exactly be done to make it work?

Sry if this sounds rude but after trying to make it work for so long I really

start thinking that it will never work on this computer frown

So can someone please give a clear explanation from the start to the end?

I have the CD and I have everyhting I found on the links i found in this and other posts.

I hope someone can help because it is really pissing me off.

Info: I have windows XP + 1Giga memory + 3d prophet 9800 xt.

[Edited by af_cg_be on 2004-12-31 13:01:51]

I have DotP installed with the Manalink patch on 2 machines. I was having trouble witht the deck editor not showing the cards at the bottom. I went through the processes running. I ended one process at a time. I found that AOL dialer.exe was the issue for me. I hope this helps.

Dude smile

Awesome. i got it to work and i got the manalink add-on, which i never had those long years ago...

But in looking around, it seems all the manalink resources have been shot to ... and now i want to play online. Any communities out there or websites i can use to meet people and play?

feel free to email me at Radakassst@yahoo.com

Hey all, been trying these past few days to get Magic:SotA running and found out a few tips that worked for me, thought I would be helpful and pass it along, seeing as this page helped me out so much. Ok, the Home of the Underdogs download for me worked beautifully, and had the Manalink patch on there as well (seperate download but easy to find, just adhere to their one download at a time rule) Installed both, needed no further updates, ran it, text was all screwed up on main page, and no card text. For me, kept compatibility mode off. Got looking around in some of the files, and found out some of the fonts were not showing up. In the main directory, there are about six or seven TrueType font files, only one or two displayed when I double clicked them, the others came up blank. Thought to myself, "Well why can't I just use a different font?" since I can't change the programming to tell it to use a different one, I fooled it. For me, I downloaded a standard TT font, just something simple, renamed all the old font files with an added 2 on it, then put as many copies of the downloaded TT font as I needed in the folder, then named them as the old files were. Presto, main menu fixed, and all cards have text. Not sure if this helps Shandalar, have not tried it yet, but figured with as many people out there who been having trouble with this, progress is progress, no matter how small. Only, I now have a question, in my wandering through the files, I have card listings and description for the gold Legends cards (Dakkon BlackBlade, etc.) but they do not show up in my deck builder. I miss having some of these awesome monsters in my deck and would like to know how I am to unlock them. Thanks all for your help and maybe one day we can all finally get this to work flawlessly on XP.

I have been trying to run Magic the Gathering under Windows ME.

It runs for a bit than craps out with CARDARTLIB.DLL and sometimes with KERNEL??.DLL or just no error and closes.

This is when in Duel (solo) but Mananet/Link stays active.

Thanks in advance.

PS. I do have the original Microprose CD-ROMs (MTG 1.0, Sots and DotP) including two patches for Spells of the Ancients. I am will to trade copies for solid help.

I've searched high and low for a full version of the first Magic: the gathering and have constantly come up empty handed. If somebody has one please contact me. Shade0682@yahoo.com