Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

Cannot Locate CD-ROM ???

Dear All,

I have just purchased Emperor Battle for Dune. Due to my previous experiences with original discs dying on me, I have decided to make a COPY of my discs (I'm entitled to a backup copy of my software anyways) and play it off those back-up discs to make sure i don't lose the actual game. I keep getting an error complaining about not finding the CD no matter how I try to burn it! Please help! The error i get is below:

error.jpg

Yep. Copy protection.

If you're using your burner to run it, it'll read the atip info. Since mastered disks (i.e. 'originals') don't have the atip stuff, it knows it's a cdr, and no worky. If you're cd reader/writer doesn't handle the protection well, it won't reprodue it well enough and the program knows it isn't the original.

Most likely it's just doing a cd check. But it could have one of the 'encrypter' ones too.

you lost me with all that jargon. I think my burner is capable of reproducing the cdr as an original. Its "relatively" not obsolete, so i would guess the burner is fine. The burner is a PlexWriter 8432A (8x/4x/32x).

Can you please explaion in easier simpler terms? smile

This is easy to do with almost any game. smile

1) Get a copy of clonecd.

2) Use the burner to read the image, it can read the copy protections schemes much more accurately than any rom drive. Also check the options for "read subchannel data" on both audio and data tracks.

3) Swap disks when it tells you to and burn away.

4) Play the dern game. wink This will work 99% of the time.

Nope, I tried burning it in CloneCD the first time (like you described) and it didn't help. It seemed to burn the CD alright, but still it wouldn't play it.

Anyways, I also tried Nero CD opy and that failed too.

Any hints or ideas anyone?

Like the man said, CD COPY Protection is the problem and a lot of software/hardware will not copy newer CDs properly. You must obtain what is known as a NO-CD executable. There are a lot of sites that have these NO-CD cracks for hundreds of games. I use them to avoid having to constantly open my cd tray.

Install CloneCD with Tray Icon. Right click Icon and mark "Hide Atip identification". Check if this allows playing game fron the CD-RW. Of course, install all the Microsoft updates for Nero and for CD-protection. Install updates for Nero and InCD because they used to provoke these kinds of problems. Also login as administrator rather than Power user.

Well.. if nothing else works... Just download a No-CD crack from gamecopyworld.. the adress is in the subject row... smile

Use clony to detect what kind of protection the CD has and then use the settings it tells you to read the disc using clonecd. Then burn

NOTE: 1:1 copies are made only when the disc is read properly and written properly. Depending on what protection it has your burner may not be able to make 1:1 copies. goto www.cdr-info.com and see if your burner can burn 1:1

SnowHawk

I'll download clony and see if it helps. I'll update this topic with my success and/or failure(s).

thanx SnowHawk

On a side note, I really loved that games but the performace sucks, and the last level is almost not playable at any decsent resolution

Game ran beautiful for me at 1024x768 all details maxed. Not even the last level slowed down. (cept during bullet time of course...) hehe What card were you running last time you tried? Cause the 4600 you have now should have more than enough muscle with a cpu as fast as yours. Specially if my card can take it with a duron 800.

It's due to CD Copyright protection.

Go to www.gamecopyworld.com , they'll tell you the protection it's using and how to copy it.

FYI - You are NOT entitled to backup that game, check on westwood.com and ea.com

deeman,

I already tried GameCopyWorld.com and they had nothing useful. I already tried. As for me not being entitled to copy, EA/Westwood can KMA, I don't wanna ruin my original CD just because THEY think I'm not entitled to a backup copy! smile Sorry for the bad language, but I don't care about EA/Westwood frown

Hey I think backup copies should be allowed too, I can't see the problem if you own a legit copy.