Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
htsource

ZoneAlarm with IIS under Windows 2000 Server

Is it a good idea to throw ZoneAlarm on Windows 2000 Server? Would it interfere IIS? I would also like to know if there's a way to block IP addresses in IIS? I know how to do it to individual site but I want something to apply to all sites. I have 4 different web sites running on my IIS server.

Your help is much appreciated.

I am running ZA 3.0 on Win2k Server with no problems. I have 3 websites and an FTP server.

Thank you for your reply. I'll try to get the version that's good for my Linksys router. Don't know the real difference between the normal version and the one designed for Linksys router.

Also, I found out how to block IP addresses for all web/ftp sites. All you need to do is to right click on the server name from IIS Snap-in and select Properties, then click on Edit under Master Properties.

Now I wonder if there's any script I can get so that it will automatically monitor IIS Log and block hackers automatically by adding IP address to the block list.

Thanks again

htsource.........

I installed a 2 PC LAN using the BEFSR41 LinkSys Cable Router. Since I wasn't if ZoneAlarm (free download version) would interfere with my two PCs exchanging data, I uninstalled ZA until I was certain the LAN was stable (which it is). I have, however, been lazy reinstalling ZA as a firewall, because I'm not certain how to set it up so the two PCs can access files from eachother without being stopped by ZA. Up until about 2 months ago, neither ZA or LinkSys seem too interested in letting me know how to set things up. Now, after reading your post, I find out there's a separate ZA product for LinkSys routers.

In short, (1) Do you know if the free download version of ZA works with a router. And (2) if the new ZA must be used, does it take care of allowing the LAN PCs to talk to eachother?

SnapperOne (aka Steven)

Steven,

Any versions of ZoneAlarm should work with your Linksys router. In fact, I had 2.61 installed long time ago with my router and they worked just fine. The ZoneAlarm version designed for Linksys has some add on features but I can't spend like $100+ for 3 copies of ZoneAlarm. I might put back 2.61 on my server though since I like ZoneAlarm a lot and the ease of use.

Hope it help,