Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
valery

Please help me !

I have two computers. One under win nt 4.0 and the other, under win XP

The win nt4.0 is a computer from my office and the networking is configured for my office network. I would like to make a local netwotk with my computer at home (win XP) and my computer from my Office to use my printer, to transfer files, ...

The problem is that all the network parameters are configured for my Office (There is something like: "Obtain IP address from a DHCP server", a domain name, ... I would like to make a simple network with just 2 computers and I can't because if I change my parameters, I wouldn't be able anymore to use the network at my Office ...

Is it possible to create something like a new WINT NT session where I can set special network parameters, to make a local network at home, without change my office 's network parameters ?

I think that it's possible but I don't know win nt and moreover I am really bad to use a network ? So, what about a simple issue ? PLEASE !

There are several options that will work for you. Here are a couple that are the easiest:

1.) Purchase and setup a router ($75 - $100 at BestBuy, PriceWatch.com, etc). I recommend the Linksys BEFSR41. You can connect both of your PC's to it without making any changes (more than likely). This router/firewall will issue IP addresses to both of your PCs (Obtain an IP address froma DHCP server) and will allow you to share files and also an internet connection via cable or DSL.

2.) If you want to attempt to add the protocol called NETBEUI on BOTH PC's in the network properties and purchase a crossover cable, this will also allow you to connect both PC's together. Be sure to reboot both machines after you have added it. However, no internet connection can be done unless you add another network card to one of the PC's and enable ICS (probably easier on W2K).

This option is by far the least expensive (under $10) but may require the NT4 CDROM for you to add the protocol.

You'll also have to share a folder that you want to get to OR you should be able to go to START, RUN (from the Win2K PC)and type \\NT4PCNAME\c$. NT4PCNAME is the actual name of the NT4 machine. If it is a work PC, your company may use something like PAYROLLPC12, JDOE-NT4, etc. You should be prompted for a user name and password and then gain access to the entire C: drive.

Whew! Hope this helps!

You might want to make sure your work does not have a policy regarding this. I had to fix many computers because of similar 'tweaking', and sometimes repeat offenders would get a meeting with mgmt. Please do not think I'm saying not to do this, I just want to remind you to check first with your work's admins.

Valery,

please clarify the situation:

is your nt4 computer a laptop you want to bring in and network at home (case 1) or a desktop (fixed) that you want to access from home (case 2)?

- case one

the easiest way is to install a new copy of some os (NT4, W2K, XP) on another partition on the laptop and hook it up to your home lan. Thanks to dual-booting, you will have access to everything on the laptop frome your home lan.

DO NOT change anything to the original network setup on the laptop or you will be no longer able to connect at work and your admin may well start asking you some embarassing questions...

- case two

most companies have strict security policies and will consider this is an attempt to crack their network from outside. Bad time...

If case one applies, then I would advise to talk to your admin so that he is aware of what you want to do. If he is a nice guy, he should help you. If he is not, beware.

Thanks everybody !

I think that I 'll first ask to my admins what I can do ... After I'll follow your advices ! Thanks very much.

Valéry