Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Michel

What should I do ? (HD stuff)

Hi

I just wanted to know if its better to use NTFS or FAT32 with a 40GB HD. What do you say?

Also it is ATA100, do I have to change something to make it work ATA100 or Windows knows it??

-> Last time I installed a HD with NTFS i got a real problem... I installed the Easy CD Creator 4 in Win2k and it got f*cked up all the way. So I couldn't BOOT anymore to use the HD to make some backups

When I managed to boot I couldn't enter any directories and/or move any files. With the 'new' microsoft XP BOOT disk, I AM able to change/move/look/write stuff in my HD? even from a 'dos prompt' ?

Will I be able to boot with ms disks for XP, copy my files to the other FAT32 HD with no problems?

Thanks in advance!!

and I will be able to boot normaly (disk boot) and acess my hd like I can do with older Win9x boot disks and copy/move files?

Quote:
When I managed to boot I couldn't enter any directories and/or move any files. With the 'new' microsoft XP BOOT disk, I AM able to change/move/look/write stuff in my HD? even from a 'dos prompt' ?
Will I be able to boot with ms disks for XP, copy my files to the other FAT32 HD with no problems?

Yes, you can use this 'dos prompt'. XP/2k can read and write NTFS, FAT12 (aka FAT), FAT16, and FAT32.

The filesystem should not be an issue with Roxio EZ CD-Creator, at least it wasn't here. However, it is know to be a problematic program so you may want to look into Nero.

Quote:

and I will be able to boot normaly (disk boot) and acess my hd like I can do with older Win9x boot disks and copy/move files?

No, you can't boot using a Win9x floppy and read files on an NTFS drive, but you can do so from the command prompt within Windows. The WinXP boot disk is more like a Windows NT/2k boot disk in that all it does is start up the installation routines.

AndyF

You can use the Win2k/XP recovery console to move/copy files but you have to change your group policy to allow other than root directory access.

Also I recommend NTFS as it is more stable.

u can also get a little program called NTFSDOS.EXE that u can run from a 9x boot disk to let u access it and read, ?write? like a normal fat32 drive.

but yea, ntfs whoops arse. its a bit of effort to get used to with security permissions etc, but its got heaps of funky features like compression and stuff built in...