Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Space Cowboy

Network Sharing A Scanner?????

Is it possible to share a scanner across a home network as u do a printer??..i dont see anywhere to set a share for it in XP..i just bought a UMAX Astra 4400 ..seems to be a nice scanner.but i wanna share it..

Help and Support Incorrectly States That Sharing of Scanners is Possible (Q304097)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition

SUMMARY

The What's new in home networking section of Windows XP Help and Support incorrectly states that you can share a scanner in a network environment.

MORE INFORMATION

You cannot share a scanner over a network in Windows XP. This section of Windows XP Help and Support is incorrect.

I don't think a detailed answer was needed for that Davros.

Sharing a scanner is not only not possible, but completely pointless.

Sorry to take the p*ss, but its like asking 'can I give share access to my mouse?'

Network sharing of a scanner is actually quite desirable to some people. We are looking to purchase a photocopier that will allow for network printing/scanning right now that will let many people use OCR functionality and maintain electronic copies of paper that required handwritten information (such as signatures) and can then be converted back to electronic format. This is a better situation than one person having a scanner and people constantly dropping off paperwork asking if he or she can take the time to handle the scan and conversion work. So no, it isn't like "'can I give share access to my mouse?'".

You should recognize MS TechNet when you see it, deeman. All i did was copy-paste.

And Clutch is right of course, I didn't think of the network scanner/printers. Those things are pretty nice!

I second that clutch, Our company needs the same thing, so many users need to have access to the same scanned files.

Quote:

Network sharing of a scanner is actually quite desirable to some people. We are looking to purchase a photocopier that will allow for network printing/scanning right now...

We have one at the office here, it's a Canon iR2200 - does copying, printing, network scanning, faxing, the lot! One nifty feature is that it comes with a storage area for each user, so they print to their "mailboxes", and it sits there until the user goes to the printer and tells it to print - useful for people that print a lot of confidential stuff!

Rgds
AndyF

Nice, we are just now taking a look at a Xerox unit but might poke around a bit more. I am partial to Canon though (as I used to work on them a while back), so I wondered what you thought of the quality of your unit.

HP has a scanner that has sharing software.

It's the SCSI/USB one with the auto document feeder. Can't remember the model name.

Hope this helps.

the question is still referring to a standard scanner though clutch.

Quote:

Is it possible to share a scanner across a home network as u do a printer??..i dont see anywhere to set a share for it in XP..i just bought a UMAX Astra 4400 ..seems to be a nice scanner.but i wanna share it..

exactly and even to mix it up,i traded that POS UMAX.with there shady tech support in for a visioneer one touch 8700..so,this thread is asking simply,how can i share a scanner over a home network..both pc's on XP.

Quote:

Nice, we are just now taking a look at a Xerox unit but might poke around a bit more. I am partial to Canon though (as I used to work on them a while back), so I wondered what you thought of the quality of your unit.

Quality of the Canon is excellent, and fast too - both on copies and prints. One nice thing is that it uses the scanner to copy, so if you're doing multiple copies, it only has to scan the document once.
The scanner is only monochrome, but that suffices for 99% of documents scanned in an office environment. The version we have comes with 4 paper trays, and internal sorter, but you can get all the usual add-ons like sorter/stacker/stapler etc. Here's a link for more info.

We have 3 Canon multifunction devices in the office (2 B&W, 1 colour - we operate a "no printer" policy, because MFDs are much cheaper to run!) and can't fault any of them.

Rgds
AndyF

Quote:

the question is still referring to a standard scanner though clutch.

Why? You share out standard printers all the time right? And Felix commented that there was an HP with sharing software as well. Seems like isn't such a bad idea to begin with (or at least not bad enough to make fun of him for).