Win XP won't Boot

- SYSTEM Specs:

- RAM: 768Mb

- Video: Asus GeForce 3

- Sound: SB Live

- MB: Soyo Dragon

- Latest Sound and Video drivers

- VIA 4.34?

- All current Windows Updates installed.

Started last night. Tried to start computer and received an error "cannot load profile." I reached the desktop but it was the administrator role and not my personal one. Rebooted.

Booted normally, except the "blue progress bar" would stop intermittently. Then instead of seeing the "Loading Personal Profile" dialog screen, the screen is black then computer hangs.

- Tried "Safe Mode," same thing, black screen.

- Tried swapping video card, no luck.

- Tried "Recovery Console," with the following options:

- CHKDSK /P

- CHKDSK /R

- FIXMBR

- FIXBOOT

**No luck!

- Tried to reinstall Windows. After the "copy files segment," same problem, black screen.

I am using "System Restore" but cannot get to the desktop to rollback.

Is there anything else left to do but format and install?

Any information will be helpful, thanks!!

I started the computer and after 10 minutes the bios temp reading showed the temperature at 48c. Fan was spinning at about 4820RPM.

Cleared CMOS by unplugging the ATX power supply cable then shorting the pins for 10 secs. When computer was started, recieved the error "CMOS Defaults Set," which I assume is normal after clearing the CMOS.

Same result, no change.

I can't really think of anything other than something in Windows getting messed up or an update you didn't need screwing something up.

It could be that the motherboard is crapping out. Seen this sorta stuff before with dying mobo's. Go ahead and try a reinstall for now.

Also, what hard drive are you using, especially the one you're installing Windows on (if you have more than 1).

I bought a new hard-drive, a WD 80Gb. Reinstalled WIN XP, work fine.

Thanks for all of the help. This is the second time I have had quirky problems with XP, where is the SP?

Ahh, it's in beta right now, and I can't say what the ETA is either. I just know it's coming down the pipes.