Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sapiens74

Best Mouses?

I haven't had a problem with that and I 'game' pretty hard {half this box was built for UT/Q3 etc.}

I suppose I could get clever, take the batteries out and hook it up to an AC source but it would be corded again.... Wouldn't be able to 'drive' it up and down your gf's back from 6 ft. away while surfing the web !!!

I do understand and for the most part, agree with you, BUT my experience has been better w/Logitech. I've tried the M$ stuff and found it awful, I'd be ashamed to market that myself, it was that bad.

And the beef I got with Logitech is the very tiny sync button next to the battery compartment. Had this thing quite some time before I noticed I was running outta sync, which kinda says good things about it {that it can run that way and still perform}.

I'm quite sensitve to anything even slightly related to ANY refreshing, I've only got one good eye that strains the brains easily if things get weird, this mouse I've been able to live with.

gunner, try going into a poiant application and drawing a circle quite quickly with the cordless mouse then try it again with a usb corded mouse, and she the difference; granted not eveyone can notice but if you're use to having it on one then going down to a lower refresh hurts, i cant deal with the cordless ones (it was the ms one i tried others may be better) had to send mine back, i did get used to it after about an hor of play but then going back to my regular mouse (intelli expl) seemed so much more solid and with me..

for others interested in this phenomenon...

cordless mice reviews

read the usability section of this review

as i say, just my opinion not gospel smile

Wouldn't it be cheaper (and better environmentally) to get an extension for a corded mouse than to buy a new battery or two every month for a cordless? smile

Just out of curiosity, but what specifically does the word "dual" in the Logitech mouse's name refer to?

The Intellimouse 3.0 has one sensor, four flat supports and the thumb button in front is easily accessible. The plastic edge extending into metal on the right side can be felt as an inconvenience. The cursor feels very fast and precise. The low supports catch dirt easily. Because the program loses control of the mouse when switching between users, it has to be stopped and restarted.

The Logitech Dual has two sensors, five supports with rounded plastic tabs glued and the thumb button seems too low though easy to reach. The Logitech is the most confortable mouse and the cursor glides very smootly. Heavy use (Serious Sam) will unglue the rounded plastic on the three supports at the back of the mouse. A solution is to remove them. The Mouse program has a hefty memory usage.

On the whole, my preference goes to the Logitech Dual.

I love my IE 3.0

My brother bought my Wireless Explorer(the optical one) for 45 bucks.

I was elated, cause it was a POS in games.

I love my Logitech Dual Mouse man Optical it replaced my Intellimouse Explorer

I just did some looking around and read some reviews and came up with some interesting info.

Microsoft's latest IntelliMouse Explorer, and IntelliMouse Optical mice have a good thing going for them, gaming wise. The sensor reads at 6000 times per second, which is 3 to 4 times faster than most other optical mice. And from what I've read in reviews, this does a good job to reduce or even eliminate the glitches caused by moving the mouse to fast. (a third mouse, the Wireless Intellimouse Explorer also does 6,000 samples per second, but the fact that it's wireless makes it less suitable for gaming)

So it looks like for gaming purposes, the latest IntelliMouse Explorer (corded) or the IntelliMouse Optical are the way to go. Both even have 5 buttons, which can be assigned to common keyboard functions (and thereby be used in games which allow custom keyboard bindings, or those which detect all 5 buttons). To be sure you're getting the high-speed version, check the back of the box for "6,000 times per second"

I know you guys are talking about optical mice... But I would still say the best mouse for a TRUE gamer.. would be the Razor Boomslang. I have owned this mouse from the day it came out and can't tell you how much I love it. Yes it does use a ball but the way the built it doesn't really need cleaning. Here are some of the + of this mouse.

True 2000 Dpi.

Able to adjust sensitivity on the FLY.

5 programmable buttons (with macros)

7 Foot cord

This mouse is the smoothest mouse I have ever used.. and I have used MS optical mice. I can adjust the sensitivity with just a mouse click and the wheel. (good from running to sniping) You can also set macros... so like in CS.. I got 1 set to the pistol (when I run out of ammo) And the other to knife.. to piss people off smile Does any mouse offer that now? macros? as in like 1,ENTER,4,Enter,1... or something like that. The only bad thing... is the price... 100 bucks as of now.. still the same when it came out.. and lack of support frown It seems they had some problems but are working it out... Its a damn shame too!

I will say... if you are not a HARD CORE gamer.. this mouse might not be for you. But if you like all the perks of this mouse... it's simply the best!

At least check it out at Razorzone.com

ASiDiE

True. I just read a very informative Tom's Hardware optical mice review.

I'd suggest any serious gamer interrested in getting a new mouse read it.

To put it simply:

Microsoft's 6000 ips (check back of box for 6000 ips before buying) is 3 times that of Logitech's optical mice, making it the mouse that is least likely to get 'lost' during fast movement (on most surfaces). Microsoft software also allows the two extra buttons to be bound to keyboard keystrokes, thus usable in most games.

Logitech's 800 cpi is twice that of Microsoft's mice, making it more precise (check back of box).

Karna's Razer Boomslang 2000 puts both Microsoft's and Logitech's optical mice to shame when it comes to precision, but only while it's not dirty. (it uses a ball)

So, there is no clear universally dominant mouse. It all depends what gamers, individually, hold to be more important for their style of gaming, how much they're willing to pay, and how they like the 'feel' of the mouse's shape.

WheelMouse Optical USB via a PS/2 adaptor here on my notebooks-no complaints smile

I am sad to say about my mouse that it gave me the usb beep of death

so far me and eddie have had this this happen to our mice but hopefully i don't get it any more. i have heard it once but if it continusally does it then me mouse is dying frown but if it does die i will get ir replaced with another r one

In reply to ASiDiE: I have a Razer Boomslang 1000 and under W2k It worked great with the Razer supplied driver, But I now have XP Pro and to who have one of these mice, Don't use the W2k driver in XP!

My Razer has no XP Mouse driver yet (Just the stock USB Mouse driver), the Windows 2000 Pro driver works but causes two problems:

1. most of the desktop can suddenly dissapear and

2. the other is related to settings being saved and restored on startup of the pc.

And Yes there is Registry hack for the 2nd problem that is supposed to work, but I tried It and It had no effect as far as I can tell.

Just bought a Logitech 2-button Wheel Optical Mouse, works great with games, and no stupid ball to get dirty. It is not wireless though, but I prefer not to deal with batteries.

I just have to clean out the hair from time to time with My Razer 1000. Otherwise this mouse works great.

well the drives seem to work fine for me.. check this page out:

http://razer.tigga.org/

they have the latest drivers there. 2.1.00 A lot of people don't have these becuase they came out using the updater and then that went away. I have been using these in XP and they seem to work pretty good.. I need to get around to programing my keys to see if they work.. I am very lazy.. I do have that page that tells you how to fix that problem... but anyway... they also give word of the XP drivers... They are done... but where the hell are they? Who knows. I feel really bad for this company.. they put out a kick *** product but never had the right backing or something. I still think this is the best mouse for gaming... but really haven't tested the new optical mice....

ASiDiE

Thanks for the link. Well I wish They would post those XP Razer drivers then.

Quote:

Logitech has the "Mac" philosophy on mouses. They are uncomfortable as hell.
I dunno about other Logitech mice, but my USB Wheel Optical is just fine, infact it's the best mouse I've ever owned. MS mice on the other hand... I have a couple of friends who each have MS mice, & when I've tried them they feel weird & somewhat uncomfortable to me.

The 4 button ones are just ok but the one i have sucks. I like the MS cordless optical feel, tho i wish they made it without the cordless part

I chose Logitech over Microsoft for two reasons:

1- The Logitech had 5 years warranty versus 3 on the Microsoft.

2- The Logitech had the "Built for XP" sticker on it. Amazing since none of the M$ Mice had it.

Quote:

I vote for MS intellimouse optical too. It even works on my face!

it is a good mouse. it really is. but i like mine even better, it is a logitec wireless keyboard and optical mouse. i thought the batteries on the mouse won't last because they are on 24/7. but it is more than two months that i'm using it and everytime i check the batteries they are in a very good shape. it somehow manages to turn off the red lamp when the mouse is not moving even for a sec, and it saves a lot of power. i'm imperssed by the way the mouse works. i won't go with anything else.:D
the name of the product on its box is "cordless freedom optical".
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/computing/5781.shtml
http://www.hardwareextreme.com/reviews/controllers/logitech_cordlessfreedom/