Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SnakeEyez122

Windows XP to 98

OK...I have Windows XP....and I HATE IT. The incompatibility is just overwhelming. I need to get my new computer from XP to 98se. How do I go about doing that? I mean i can format it, but do i lose drivers for all of my crap? It didnt come with a CD....what can I do?

If you haven't backed it up, yes, you will lose the stuff. Personally, I have partitioned my drives so that I really only have to format my XP partition. If your computer was made for XP, you will have to download all your drivers for 98.

Doesn't WinXP allow an uninstall procedure to drop down back to 98/98SE/ME? That is if you upgraded from 98SE.

pmistry - I have never heard of ANY os that could do an uninstall after upgrading... come to think of it, I can't think of any software that "downgrades" gracefully either...

Plus, I was under the impression that it effectively "destroys" Win9X installs when it gets installed over them.

Yeah I know it is easier to just reformat anyway. However I uninstalled ME to 98 once and it was running fine, if not better afterward. It is better to do this sooner rather than months later though.

The Win3x to Win95 was the last upgrade I used that could be successfully uninstalled afterwards.

Actually it was excellent, you had to choose to save your old files during the Win95 installation.

If you uninstalled Win95 later, it took about 5 minutes.

After the re-boot Win3x complained about no permanent Swap File located whcih you set back up and all was well.

Never seen any OS uninstallation since then.

Hey Snake, you can uninstall XP and revert back to the previous OS by going to Control Panel then Add/Remove Programs. One of the apps that you can uninstall would be XP. I don't think this method works if you change the partition from FAT32 to NTFS. I read this from a magazine but have not try this myself since I dual-boot 98SE/XP Pro.

Based on the information given, it appears (and this could just be me) that he has a system with XP preinstalled. He's going to have to reformat and reinstall 98. If it so happens that he does have an upgrade from 98 to XP with just installing XP ontop of 98, the system will be effectively screwed up so bad that he should do a clean install to save his sanity.

You can't downgrade from a FULL install of XP.

If it was an upgrade from 98 - XP it is possible through control panel as long as you ticked that option whilst installing XP.

I don't know what's gone wrong with your install of XP, but I have

XP Pro on my PC, and I can safely say that it is the most stable Microsoft Operating System that I have ever used.

I don't think it's XP giving him incompatibilities, but the Retail PC!

laugh

I hope that isnt a retail box you're using snakeeyes.

If it's a brand name, It deserves to be in the bin.