Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

Automautic XP login how to?

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

Dear All,

Sorry if this is a repeat post.

I was wondering, how can you set Windows XP Professional to automatically login with a specific user name and password like you can in Windows 2000 Professional? I've heard you can do it if you set your password to no password, but is there any way i can set it to automatically login without having to remove my password? I really would rather keep my password! smile

Ever thought of doing it this way.

Disabling the local administrator account provides you with some added

security against hackers, and this account can easily be disabled in

Windows XP Professional.

"Before you disable the Administrator account, make sure that at least

one other account has administrator privileges. Now, log on as a member

of the Administrator group. Click Start and then right-click My

Computer and choose Manage. When the Computer Management window opens,

click the small plus (+) sign to the left of 'Local Users and Groups'.

Click the 'Users' folder to select it.

Cool, but is there any way I can do it without Powertoys?

By the way, I donot have an "administrator" account. I renamed the administrator account tomy own name, so there is only ONE administrator called "Samer Hassouneh"which is my name.

Renaming the account is a better idea than disabling it, but I always keep it in "reserve" and create another account for myself with all the admin privies I need.

Quote:
By the way, I donot have an "administrator" account. I renamed the administrator account tomy own name, so there is only ONE administrator called "Samer Hassouneh"which is my name.
How the hell did you manage that? I've looked for options to do it, but haven't had any success.confused

PS the auto login thing is done with TweakUI as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread

Alien,

It is very simple to change a user name in Windows Xp. Simply start the Management Console (right click My Computer -> Choose Manage)

Now, click on the + sign beside "local user and groups" then click on "users", then right-click the user name and choose "rename"! Good luck.

I think I'm going to try the TweakUI thing. I can't think of any better way to do it. Oh well! smile

Thanx guys!

Dear ALL, Rockin has just replied via email with this useful tip. I quote him as it came in the email message:

Quote:
I know the answer to this one!

go to run then type in

control userpasswords2

this will bring up a W2K style User Account Manager and you can set it up to log you in automatically

Rodney

Thanx Rodny/Rockin! smile I'm sure all of us can benefit from this tip!

If you want to do this without using power toys do this

goto run and type in

control userpasswords2

that will bring up a Win2k type of User Manager and you can take it from there I am sure. Spread the word!!

Enjoy,

Rodney

Dear Brian Frank,

The poll really has nothing to do with this post. I was just curious to find out which Linux distros people like in general! smile

Thanks for the tip, I was looking for something like this in XP.

That's what I really hate about XP. It doesn't give us the RIGHT tools. Only stupid choices for newbies. Especially in networking. I never found the way to give an access to my computer to my brother on a workgroup without the stupid Guest account that is absolutely not safe. In win2k we can give personal access over a workgroup (and the option is no buried under stupid pages for newbies).

But unfortunately I like XP :P

Cool! I'm glad the tip I forwarded on was helpful. By the way, If you have trouble setting up networking under Windows XP let me know and I will be willing to help. I have messed around with XP for quite a bit and I have just managed to make it network succesfully with Linux both ways! smile

By the way, If you use NTFS You can lock-down access to each folder or drive and so on. I would recommend considering a switch to NTFS if you are concerned about security, but note that older games and DOS-based programs may not function undet NTFS. smile

Let me know if you need any help! smile