Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ZEHN

Mechwarrior2 on Win2000

I am a newbie so with this in mind....i have a few DOS based games that i have blown the dust off and would like to play again.

the error that keeps coming up is the "application is trying to access the drive directly" or something to that effect.

not sure what to do and not afeared the read(recomend a site)and would be gratful for any help y'all can give

THX

Mechwarrior 2 (DOS) does not work in 2000/XP without Connectix Virtual PC

Mechwarrior 2: Mercernaries (DOS) does not work in 2000. It works in XP.

Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries (Windows) does not work in 2000/XP. Works in Connectix Virtual PC.

If your games do not run under NT it's best just to dual-boot instead of not playing and/or spending forever trying to get them to work in NT.

If you'd like I can send ya my NT Games Compatibility list (Haven't had time to add my list to the NT Compatible site yet).

Currently 215 of my windows games 12 do not work.

Out of 235 of my DOS games 21 do not work.

Unfortunately I haven't fully tested ALL of the DOS games for sound compatibility which means that around 20% I'm sure will have sound problems that cannot be fixed unless run in real DOS.

plz send me the list when you get a chance.

Ya'll got a great site and have just started to use it more.

A big thanks to all the ppl at NT COMPATIBLE.

ZEHN

I have the same problem. Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries (DOS) I know works on Windows XP [somewhat].

Problem is, I don't remember how I got it working. And even when I did have it working, it wouldn't let me play the levels. What would happen is the game would crash back to the desktop, but the music for the level would play.

What steps do I take in order to play this game on Windows XP?

See the following thread for my solution:

http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread27064-1.html

If you want to use the mouse in mech2 you need mouse2kv.zip (available from vogon.zeetafleet.com, search the forums), or alternatively I can send you it via email.

Add the the following line to the .bat file mentioned in my solution:

'mouse2kv 640 480 8 8 mech2.exe' (minus quotes)

**Note: although this will give you mouse support (on my machine) it causes white noise to play instead of the FMV or menu audio. MAKE SURE YOU TURN YOUR VOLUME RIGHT DOWN TO THE BOTTOM, UNLESS YOU ARE ACTUALLY IN-GAME

Finally, I have discovered that the game *must* be run from a fullscreen dos prompt. So maximise the dos prompt, before you load your .bat file.

Ok, I can now go through the menus. The sounds a little distorted, and some sounds repeat over and over again, even though they're not supposed to (Something about hearing "Access Denied." multiple times doesn't appeal to me)

The problem of not being able to play the levels still remains however. It goes to the loading screen, then 4 seconds later, crashes to desktop. I already installed the 1.1 patch on the DOS version of the game. I am using VDMSound on the MERCS.exe file.

Getting through the menu's is now fine, like I said. My question now is how to fix the sound (If possible), and how to get into the actual levels.