Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
emthompson

Uninstalled linux, now I cant get into XP

OK I had a dual boot with linux mandrake and XP going for a couple of days. I erased linux and its partitions and now I cant get into xp. I can onlt get as far as right after my system checks to see if it should boot from the floppy and cd. Then it just stops with LI as the last line of text. I had tried repairing it with the cd but that doesnt work. The linux partition was on a seperate hardrive from XP so I know I didnt touch anything in XP. The only thing I can thing of is after I erased linux from the harddrive I still got the linux boot screen asking me what OS I wanted to start, linux of XP. Then I secure erased the partition and my problem started. Any ideas? I think that somehting with the boot portion of XP is affected.

Boot from CD, then choose ®epair console, and at the prompt type "fixboot". This is how I get around my BSODs related to "Unmountable_Boot_Device"...caused by mcp.sys or something...

However, I ran the IBM stress test on my 60GXP 60GB drive, and it reported bad sectors. I have to backup all my stuff and replace it before it completely dies on me frown

This IBM crap is getting on my nerves...the HD is only 4 months old