Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
akoum

If you have broadband you should do this.

I just found out that QoS in WinXP reserves 20% of my bandwidth by default. And I can tell you that changing this does make a huge difference. Its easy so why not do it.

Go to Start/Run/ and type gpedit.msc

Under Local Computer Policy Expand

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Network

Highlight the QoS Packet Scheduler

In right window double click Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Click Settings Tab and make sure it is Enabled

Then lower the percentage in the box. Default is 20%, lower to 0%.

Click Apply/OK.

The go to Start/Network Connections/

Right click on your connection, select

Properties/General Tab

and make sure QoS Packet Scheduler is checked(Enabled).

Click OK. Then Reboot.

I hope people find it useful.

Or, better yet:

When you install the OS, chuck it from the network configuration selections right off the bat. Along with client for msft networks, and those 2 other Mickey Mouse jobs that msft wants you to install. It's amazing just how much faster NT is over 98/Me when you get rid of all the completely worthless stuff. Actually, when something has a negative worth, it's no longer worthless.

My bad.

QoS works if you have QoS aware applications and hardware. Not to mention that if you are connecting to the Internet with a 100Mb NIC, yet your Internet connection is only 1.5Mb via a non-QoS aware device, then any reservation made by the workstation will not affect your incoming bandwidth.

Does this tweak really make a difference?

After performing the tweak previously, I couldn't find a way to objectively test it. What is a good 'before'...'after' test to check this out? It didn't seem to make a difference before. (sys:ADSL avg 1050 connection, Linksys network)

Now, after doing a new clean install of XPpro, here is the opportunity to test.

I've read from other sources, that this tweak doesn't really work.

I has made a huge difference on my network of 3 PCs, which share a Cable connection, hard drives and printer. I think Clutch is right in what he said so I don't think you would notice a difference on just your web connection. But what this does is for me is allow me to download a few things at once with out them slowing down when I transfer large 50mb+ files from one PC to the other at the same time. It never hurts to turn it down though.

Hi i ahve XP home and you dont get gpedit EEK and i was wondering if there is any way to stop this feature?

Quote:
Hi i ahve XP home and you dont get gpedit EEK and i was wondering if there is any way to stop this feature?

Go into your network connection and unselect the Qos box.

That being said, when your using QOS for what it's made (or any other protocol) for it's not useless....but of course if you don't need it then disable it. smile

thanks dos freak ive unselected it but what im wondering on xppro even when u have it unselected in the connections options it is still got 20% reservable bandwidth within gpedit.msc im just wondering if it is the same for my XPhome install here at home?