Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dream_theater84

Windows .NET gaming

Windows.NET is a server what world are you going do with server.

And if history is correct, the OS will be more expensive than XP Pro or Home. A big waste of money unless you are actually gonna use the features. I sure wouldn't. $400 for an OS to game on, no thanks!

It's a server OS, not a desktop OS. By the way, why the need for someone to email you the answer?

Agreed Four and Twenty, just like w2k server, it's not much more than the "desktop" os with all the server features available for install, clean install and u dont see much difference, and u can use it just like the "desktop" counterpart....

4&20... what games do ya have running?... all i get when i try to run the DxDiag test... is N/A on D3d and Ddraw... and disabled on DirectDraw... if i try to enable it... it becomes N/A.

i tried it on .NET Enterprise build 3590, got a GeForce2 GTS and tried it with the 23.11 and 23.12 drivers.... same results...tried it with a Matrox G400MAX aswell... latest(5.82)drivers... same results.

Video overlay is also disabled... not so strange since Ddraw is disabled... frown

Accekeration is decreased by default. Run dxdiag and move the slider all the way to the right.

To optimise it for desktop performance, you would have to change some of the server optimsations back. What I can think of so far:

[*]You would probably have to tweak the cache (use something like CacheMan

[*]Process Priorities: Server is set to give priority to background apps rather than foreground. Find (the equivelent of) Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance/Settings > Advanced Processor Scheduling.

[*]DirectX acceleration (thanks DosFreak)

[*]Logging. The server is probably set up for heavy logging/crash dumps. There are a few different locations to change this.

One is Control Panel > System > Advanced > Startup & Recovery/Settings, There's also NTFS logging I believe, and dr Watson (drwtsn32.exe) and I'm willing to bet there's some other performance meters, etc running that you will have to find a way to disable.

[*]Services. There would be a lot more services enabled by default that do nothing usefull for a desktop OS than chew up resources.

[/list:u]

Maybe we could get a more detailed version of this... any others?

on my computer you don't even really have to tweak it like that at all aside from the hardware acceleration. I notice no difference in desktop or game performance on .NET

It probably makes more of a difference on a sigle processor machine to disable the extra services. Once you go dual you never go back.

Yeah but there will be people with slower machines, and one day your machine will be considered a slower machine...and you will want all the game performance you can get...

Quote:

on my computer you don't even really have to tweak it like that at all aside from the hardware acceleration. I notice no difference in desktop or game performance on .NET
It probably makes more of a difference on a sigle processor machine to disable the extra services. Once you go dual you never go back.

frown I never thought I'd say it but I did. frown This Athlon XP 2000+ is faster than my Dual P31ghz@1166 at the desktop. Games above 1280X1024+ run at about the same fps...below that res the XP is about 50fps faster. This is with all the same hardware except CPU/MOBO/RAM.

Going to get a duallie though when I get back from TDY/Leave!

What mobo was your dual P3 running on anyway? Oh, and as for the performance difference, that shouldn't be a big surprise for you anyway since most games are going to only use one proc, and any that *do* use both aren't going to double their performance. Now, going from my P3 933@1084 to my P4 1.6a@2.13 has given me about an 80fps jump in Q3 (which is the only game that I bothered to benchmark so far, but I'll try Aquanox in the next day or so), and that has been good enough for me. I now have a system that is worth getting a GF4 for, assuming that there is anything worth playing that would use that level of hardware...

laugh

Oh I was quite aware that the game performance would be the way it was between the 2 systems but the desktop operations was VERY suprising. It's nice to see that even tho everyone else say's that you can't see the difference between between a couple of hundred megahertz at the desktop level are WRONG. Every single time I've upgraded my processer desktop operations have increase speed DRASTICALLY. It does make me wince every now and then tho to see my processor spike at 100% on this....thing. frownlaugh

Seeing as you guys are having a nice chinwag about CPUs, performance, & overclocking, I wondered if you'd seen this article:

3GHz barrier broken!!!

Kinda makes me feel a bit inadequate with my machine only running @ 500Mhz frown