Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Four and Twenty

.NET server is the sh1t

just got this set up and man is it kick A55. I was hitting the limits of windows xp iis and ics all day every day and now my network and iis work perfectly.

It does seem to work rather well, and I just installed Visual Studio.NET (Enterprise Architect) on it, and I plan on playing with debugging with it tonight or tomorrow night. The best part is that it's faster (yep, faster) than 2K server, and comes with almost nothing enabled by default, no themes, and 3 screensavers. This badboy is lean on frills but has some nice options (you can use either Remote Desktop or TS, system mgmt via a web interface, etc) to make it worthwhile.

smile

Quote:

yea you know your a power user when you opt for .NET Enterprise Beta 3 over XP Pro for your main workstation

Yeah, until you get some spotty 15 year old using a w@rez copy (because that makes him l33t...) complaining that he can't get 100fps in Quake3 any more...

(or am I just becoming cynical in my old age? )

AndyF laugh

Quote:

Yeah, until you get some spotty 15 year old using a w@rez copy (because that makes him l33t...) complaining that he can't get 100fps in Quake3 any more...

(or am I just becoming cynical in my old age? )

AndyF laugh

Nahh, they usually complain about CounterStrike...

wink

Quote:

Nahh, they usually complain about CounterStrike...

wink

LOL

I am not a big gammer anymore. However .NET seems to play games just as smooth as xp. I don't need a bazzilion fps as long as i can jump into a game with all my other work related things open. The other day a friend of mine was gettin all huffy at me cause i left photoshop, interdev, access, various im programs, outlook, etc. opened when i loaded up nfs 5. He was all like dude you should close all that stuff before you load up the game cause it will play better. So i played a race anyway and it was silky smooth. then i closed the game and all my appz and a hand full of services and loaded up the game again and played the same race. Then i asked him if he could tell the difference and the obvious answer was no. If you have enough mhz and ram to go around what the hell does 5 or 10 fps mean? NOTHING!

Quote:

...what the hell does 5 or 10 fps mean? NOTHING!

Absolutely - the human eye can't distinguish many more than 30-40 frames per second, so anything more is just wasteful. And as for those people who love to push their graphics cards up to 100FPS or higher...why??

Now that most games play stably at 60FPS, we should start to see more games that put the extra power into better (read: more realistic) graphics - which is what is happening with games like Wolfenstein, Unreal2 etc...

Anyway, back to the original topic, I'm about to install .NET on my other PC (just been waiting for an excuse to dig it out of the cupboard!), to see how it runs, have a play, possibly install Exchange on it...any news on when MS is bringing out Exchange .NET?

AndyF

Playing with servers - does that make me sad, or what?

Quote:

Absolutely - the human eye can't distinguish many more than 30-40 frames per second, so anything more is just wasteful. And as for those people who love to push their graphics cards up to 100FPS or higher...why??
[/b]

Not entirely true. Have you ever seen flourescent lights flicker? Those run at 60Hz (US AC power) and I can see them quite often. Also, more FPS means less input lag, just like when you would try to turn a little in older 3D games but during the slide show with your slow PC/graphics card, you wind up turning 180* instead. I usually stop seeing a difference over 70+fps, and I stop "feeling" (less input lag) at 80+fps. Generally, if a game can guarantee 60fps no matter what is going on during gameplay, then I am set.

Quote:

Now that most games play stably at 60FPS, we should start to see more games that put the extra power into better (read: more realistic) graphics - which is what is happening with games like Wolfenstein, Unreal2 etc...

Pretty much... smile I like shiny stuff in games.

Quote:

Anyway, back to the original topic, I'm about to install .NET on my other PC (just been waiting for an excuse to dig it out of the cupboard!), to see how it runs, have a play, possibly install Exchange on it...any news on when MS is bringing out Exchange .NET?

AndyF

The next version of Exchange is set to run on the next version of MS SQL Server (codenamed "Yukon"), and I would imagine is a bit further off in development right now. MS would like to unify all of its products and have them run on the same database core/language, and just beef them up for scale depending on the application.

Quote:

Playing with servers - does that make me sad, or what?

Around here, it just makes you one of the crowd.

cool

thx for the info people i might have to finagle a copy of DOT Net server when i get my new box built here. It will be nice to see what the next round of enterprise servers will be running. Hmm with the release of a great consumer OS, and now a great Server side OS, all we need now is a good non-bloated workstation OS. XP Pro is nice but too 'nice' for me. And 2k seems too old fashioned after using XP, hmm Longhorn or Blackcomb maybe?

that is why .NET is great

u can enable the themes and what not but all the xp style frills are disabled by default and there is no limit on file sharing/IIS. Terminal services is way better than remote desktop. To me these days a workstation is a server cause it is nice to have one all powerfull place that you can do everything from.

is windows .net server really good for games?

is it better then windows 2000 pro + sp2 + spr1 + 28 pre-sp3 fixes ?

It's supposed to be closer to XP, but geared toward the server setting as I understand it. In otherwords, Microsoft won't be selling it at your local best buy or whatever. It will likely cost more than either version of XP, unless MS decides to slash the price--yeah right ;(

Quote:

is windows .net server really good for games?

is it better then windows 2000 pro + sp2 + spr1 + 28 pre-sp3 fixes ?

IT'S A SERVER OPERATING SYSTEM. Use a Windows desktop/workstation OS for your games, OK?

oh man i only just got SBS2000 in here on my 3rd machine! (its the server anyway, thought i had better play with exchange and that a bit....)

anyone know why XP Pro takes an age (like 1-2 minutes) sitting at the 'applying personal settings' bit after you hit return to log on to the domain of SBS2000?

just clean installed and its the same......tho outlook connects to exchange super quick now.....and everything else works.....just this logon issue

i have two 2000pro workstations and they log on fine......

===============================================================

Server: 550 P3, BX, 512 crucial, 2x20gb maxtor udma100 5400rpm in software OS raid mirror for system drive ©. Plextor 24x10x40 burner. Promise Ultra100 TX2 PCI card with 1x40gb and 1x20gb Maxtors in software raid span (60Gb), 1x10gb quantum for backup (!). 2000 SBS, full active directory domain and exchange/ISA/ Norton AV Corp.

Main Workstation/Games machine (my baby): 1000 P3, Asus TUSL2 815, 256 crucial, 1x20gb udma133 7200rpm Maxtor ©, Geforce 2 Pro, Win XP pro

Spare workstation/gaming machine for mates when they come round: 533 P3, 256 Infineon, Geforce 256 SDR, 2000 Pro/98 SE

Gateway machine: 333 Celeron, 128 unbranded PC133, 2000 Pro with USB ADSL modem and ICS/NAT enabled running Zonealarm for Domain