Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Duncan

Dual Boot with Win98 and XP

Anyone successfully (or unsuccessfully) attempted to dual boot with XP? I've heard that it's a bit different than dual booting with 2000 or NT.

Haven't dual-booted since the XP betas, but then it was exactly the same as with NT or 2000. The only issue (and this has always been an issue with Win9x) is that 9x has to be on the first partition, whereas XP can be on any partition.

Rgds

AndyF

I did it with partition magic, make the first partition 5 gig for 98 and the second 25 gig for xp.

Yeah yep 9x must always come first.

I have a dual with Windows XP and Windows 95B, YES, Windows 95. However, I initially had Windows 2000 which I upgraded to XP. I installed Windows 98 SE after installing XP and 98 SE did not overwrite XP's boot sector. I then deleted 98 SE but left the boot ini file alone and installed 95 into the same directory as 98 was installed before and it didn't overwrite.

I found out this:

To install 2000 or NT4 and XP, 2000/NT4 must be installed first since 2000/NT4 will overwrite with an older version of NTLDR and all of those other boot files.

To install 98/98SE/ME with XP or 2000, you can install those 9x OSes after if you want, but you should put it on another partition. eg. Don't have the Windows XP install on C: in C:\Winnnt and install Windows ME to C:\Windows, keep the Windows directories on different partitions so the program files folders will be different. In fact Windows ME actually puts itself into the boot.ini file with the name Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition while Windows 98 and 98 SE add Microsoft Windows.

However it is probably a better idea to install 9x first, but I am just mentioning that you can install it after without too much of a fuss, you can even slap it on the same partition but you may run into program files folder problems.

If you wann triple- or quadruple boot- install 9x first and then go in order of old to new for the NT OSes.

Thanks,

It looks like I will have to reformat my drive anyway as my current installation of XP is using NTFS. So, I'll be installing Win98 first anyway.