Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Duncan

Build games and XP

I am having some trouble getting games using the Build engine (Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, Redneck Rampage) to run properly. I can configure the sound just fine but regardless of what I do to the config file the game will only run in 320x200 resolution. Setting screenmode = 2 has no effect. Is there something I am missing?

I guess a more specific question would be: does WinXP even support VESA SVGA graphics modes? Try searching for more info on that topic.

No not VESA (linear modes) just pre-vesa. Supports a couple more modes than 2k but not many. Only way to get VESA in build games in NT operating systems is to run the games in Connectix Virtual PC.

As far as VESA support goes. I have another DOS game (Settlers 2) that I run at 1024 x 768 in XP. So I know that XP and my video card (GeForce 3 Ti200) can handle higher resolutions. As far as Connectix Virtual PC goes, it looks good but it's a bit pricey ($199). Any other suggestions?

For BUILD games? Either VPC or Real DOS. No other solution at this point in time. Sorry. frown

No he means DOS DOS, as in the real thing, as in what used to be the operating system of choice for pcs smile and what came with win 95/98 etc

Oops! I thought he was talking about a product that emulated DOS under XP since he capitalized the word real.

For playing older games (e.g. Dark Forces, Duke Nukem 3D) the only real options at this point are win95/98 and moslo, or actually build a machine Pentium 133 or slower (I'd recommend 100 if you don't plan to use high-res modes) and put DOS/win95 osr2 on it. I'm guessing you'd spend less than $100 to build a machine from scratch that would play all the old games. Of course emulation is cheaper but YMMV. I found that even a K6 233 was much too fast to play those games, and even moslo doesn't always provide uniform, or stable performance.