Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BladeRunnerUK

Reset Requirement = Losing all the cached Temp Internet Imag

This is becoming a real pain in the *** with XP / 2000 on a dial-up

Is there any hack or work around for this in XP/2000?

98SE never had this issue but if you get a lock-up requiring reset or auto reboot, all the cached images in the temp internet folder,(going back weeks), are all lost, or at least they need to be recached as if they have not been viewed before. This is incredibly annoying on a 56K at 28 ish. (cannot get a faster connection at my location).

I have tried various settings and I have the temp folder set much larger. "Delete on browser close" is not ticked, and it does cache images just fine until I get a situation that requires a reset. I personally want it to never lose cached pics, and reinstate them to the top when viewed again in the same way this forum works with topics. Any that are not viewed again go to the back to fall off the end as new images are cached. This is such a simple thing really and like said I never had this issue with 9X windows. Is there a program hack or way of forcing what I want at all or some way to get Microsoft to notice this as a real issue, before I go insane or back to 9X windows, (almost the same thing) :), thanks

There is mention of the problem by someone else HERE a long time ago, but no solution. I've also spent ages searching Microshafts site for a solution frown

I have the same damn thing happen to me and i am on a T1. It has really been pissing me off. I am gonna email MS (like thats gonna do $hit) and tell them whats happening and there has to be a fix for it.

Yeah it is extremely annoying as my site has many images and it takes ages to cache them all again and again.

The site is www.zerofanzone.co.uk (may find it interesting, dedicated to PC cooling).

If you get any fix or work around, reg hack to solve it please repost it in this thread or e-mail me and I'll do the same.... thanks

What you are observing is the enhanced file system management in Windows NT/2000/XP. Large (compared to w9x) file caches (esp. write caches) are used under these operating systems to improve performance and responsiveness. As such, if the computer unexpectantly crashes, data can be lost. The file system driver is designed in such a way as to make sure that the data on the disk is always in a consistant state, but that means that if the computer crashes, some data can be lost.

Now, if you have not already done so, I would recommend converting your filesystems to NTFS (a far superior fs compared to FAT12/16/32).

If you want to prevent this loss of data from occuring on 2000/XP (with a performance penality, but I suspect the system will still be faster than under 9x), as administrator:

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager

Make sure "view devices by type" is selected.

One of the tabs should be "disk drives"

Open that.

For each hard drive in the list, right click, select properties, and then go to the disk properties tab, and UNCHECK "write cache enabled". Then reboot the computer.

This should prevent the loss of data due to write caching, but again there will be a performance penality (but no more than with 9x in theory).

On a side note, I am surprised that you are having problems with crashes -- every 2000/XP machine I work with on a regular basis (10+) has never crashed (except once when I installed a faulty device driver -- rolling back to the old one solved that).

Let me know if this solves your problem....

thewizard75

Thanks for the informative reply. I will try what you suggest tomorrow, not had any sleep for 37 hours frown

I'm currently using the NTFS. The crashes or lock ups are not an everyday happening but I'm an overclocker and gamer and both lead to system locks occasionally however good the OS is. I also tend to use the latest hardware which can be less mature in the driver department.

I mostly like XP, certainly much better than 2000 for my uses.