Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
OLEerror

AOL shuts out users in battle over IM

Funny, wasn't part of the agreement that allowed AOL to purchase Time/Warner that they would open up their IM? Why aren't the states running in threatening to break up AOL, now?

Well, I like Trillian more than I like AIM. So if it comes down to using another service through Trillian, then I will. I already have MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, and AIM all patched through it, so it isn't that I have a lack of choices. I just hate the interface and all the garbage attached to the normal AIM program.

Same here.

One comment... AOL is worse than Microsoft in the evil category, by FAR.

When was the last time you got some free CD from Microsoft in the mail containing their latest trial version of SQL Server? Probably never.

When was the last time you got some free AOL CD in the mail with their latest trial version of American Online? ALL THE FREAKIN TIME! I have so many AOhell CD's that I've converted to drink coasters as a result. Heck, I even threw some in the microwave for a thrill (if you've never done this, i suggest you give it a try. it's neat).

While Microsoft is huge, it's because people choose their products over the competition. AOL is huge because they force their product into every household. I hate this and curse AOL's name.

IM used to be cool back when it was much thinner with no advertisements or TRASH. ICQ kicked major butt before AOL got it's greasy hands on it. Now it's full of ads and garbage as well.

Then came Trillian... the heavenly program which solved all the world's problems. This is a truly a great program, but I fear that one day it too will fall under the corporate umbrella, it's quality slowly deteriorating.

If you guys are sick of ICQ and IM and all the garbage that comes with them nowadays, check out

http://www.oldversion.com/

It has all the old versions of the coolest little programs released in the past 5 years. Anyway.. that's my two cents worth.

On a side note... I do think that AOL is in the right on this one.

I can definately see security issues related to "other" applications accessing the system... and even moreso: Trillian is gaining a huge user base and making nice amounts of money on a system paid for and designed by AOL. Technically, AOL is entitled to royalties from Trillian for the use of their system.

Oh well.

"While Microsoft is huge, it's because people choose their products over the competition. AOL is huge because they force their product into every household. I hate this and curse AOL's name."

Yup. That's the reason people are pissed at MS, because they actually did their freakin work!! AOHell drives me nuts. Even my non-geek pals are getting sick of the *cough* service *cough* ;( MS doesn't always make me pleased with their methods, but these are stuff the lawsuits aren't going after. The 'suits are just after the competitive stuff from MS. I don't care what people say about this monopoly BS, IE owns any browser, any day now. Netscape has lost, and until IE really rubs me the wrong way, I'll continue to use it. MS may have some annoyances, but their products do work! Not always correctly sometimes...Why didn't they go after the AOHell-Timewarner merger? Because the service isn't good enough to merit a lawsuit.

It seems as though it's a bad thing to put out good products and fairly kick the competition's ***.