Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dgcartel

Access denied

frown Moved some mp3z from 1 folder to another and now xp home will not let me play them. Just tells me Access Denied, how can i fix this. I called Microsoft and all they tell me is "The files are damaged please reformat your system" This is not a solution before the move 2 minutes prior to it the files were working. Please help me fix this mess. I dont want to rebuild.

B.T.W my acct is the admin acct.

Error is access denied when i try to play it. or

File is in use if i try to delete, move or copy it. frown

Is there a registry setting to fix these permissions or what.

Reboot and try again...I had problems like this with XP Pro and small .avi files I was making. They wouldn't go away, even if I refreshed the folders.

I've had similar experiences to this - with me it's been when I want to delete a file & it's told me that the file is in use when I know it isn't. I found a work-around for it was to open the Run dialog box [Win+R], browse to the folder it's in, tell the dialog box to "show all files" then right-click & delete the file & it works, then just close the Run window.

I don't know if this would be of any help with your problems, but thought I'd mention it incase it helps.

Actually, I think Windows XP changes "ownership" of the files when/if they are moved. what you need to do is re-take ownership of those files! If you are running NTFS, right click the folder, choose "sharing and security", and go to the "security" tab. Then click on "advanced" then "owner", and using a point-and-click interface, you can set the owner to yourself, rather than the "Administators" groups!

I've had your problem before, and i fixed it this way before!

good luck! smile

Another approach that might work on an NTFS partition with WinXP Home Edition on it would be to use the command line utility, CACLS.EXE, for setting proper Access Control List parameters for the files you're having trouble with. Type "CACLS" (no quotes and no arguments or parameters) at a CMD prompt for information on use of the utility.

- Collin