Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
isochar

Forcing XP to fill RAM before using Swap File?

Supposedly this line in system.ini [386enh] would work for Win2k:

ConservativeSwapFileUsage=1

However, I'm noticing that WinXP doesn't utilize all my RAM. Anyone know how to get around this?

i have over 700MB ram and i just want to know how i can disable my pagefile without Windows crying about it.

After using about 150mb ram the system seems sluggish and i can't figure out why, i can only assume this is related to ram/pf.

You can safely disable the swap EddiE314. Windows won't cry about it, BUT if you have photoshop it will cry about it...You can try making the swap very small, like 50MB or something.

I'd prefer that Windows manage the swap file, BUT first use all the gig of RAM that I have available to it. (Show that I have about 750megs free, and a I have a few gig page file)

Don't think ConservativeSwapFileUsage=1 is valid for 2k or XP

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\DisablePagingExecutive

Give it a value of 1

The above disables paging parts of the kernel/device drivers. It doesn't disable paging altogether.

I'd like to second that ConservativeSwapFileUsage=1 DOES NOT WORK for NT based OS's.

I would really like to know if this is possible. Or at least stop XP from insisting my pagefile is too small and increasing it without my approval, when I still have 100mb free RAM. It wasted disk space and slows down the system while creating it.

Quote:

You can safely disable the swap EddiE314. Windows won't cry about it, BUT if you have photoshop it will cry about it...You can try making the swap very small, like 50MB or something.

i currently have my PF set to 100min, 100max. Windows whines and tells me its set too low if i set it to 50 or under.

I already had that registry entry altered by TweakXP, and my figure still stands at only 1/4 of the RAM full.

I only have 256meg, and when I'm running at full multitask, I can get it down to under 7meg free physical. I've actually seen it down to 1meg.

I don't know what to tell you. Xteq xsetup is the only thing I use, and I flip on all kinds of options.

is there a way to turn of the photoshop page file requirement

if i could do that i could just shut off the page file entirely. but since i gotta make websites to live i kinda need photoshop.

512megs of ram here

open Photoshop, go to Edit, Preferences, Memory and Image Cache.(its set by default to using 50% of physical memory.

you can also try under Scratch Disks.

So, has anyone else here done the simple check to disable page file use?

I did, seem fine with my 768 MB memory.

NOTE: This does not stop all paging, since the OS pages it's system files to where ever they are located in ( system folders ). It will stop paging application files.

I have it set that way right now... but there are some programs/applications/games that give a fit when there is no page file.

If WinXP never fills a gig of RAM, what's the use?

U have to change two reg settings, i tried it, i think it works just like conservative... I think from my memory it's disablePagingExecutive and LargeSystemCache (u put both 1)in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]. Can't remember if that's it(or something else, im always modifying something in registry) now but i have it written someware, i'll post it later !!!

If you make those above registry changes, the PC will not respond properly, it will be very "jerky" in multitasking.

Face it, NT is designed to be a paging OS, with or without the application pagefile.

Never experienced that, maybe it's your comp(not every comp responds equaly to same settings) and that would suggest that something is wrong with your instalation of os(maybe instaled progies....)or hardware, posibilities are endless. Also u need to have alot of memory to do this.

The biggest offender in the above settings is the

"disablePagingExecutive" setting.

Quote:

Never experienced that, maybe it's your comp(not every comp responds equaly to same settings) and that would suggest that something is wrong with your instalation of os(maybe instaled progies....)or hardware, posibilities are endless. Also u need to have alot of memory to do this.

I have a dual processor and 768 MB of memory. Makes the same differences at work on my single 733 MHx with 256 M ram. It matters not if it is W2K or WXP, as I really have tested the settings with both.

I have also tested these settings on other PC's with varying amounts of memory, from single cpu's to dual and even quad cpu's with up to and including 2 gig's of memory.

You may not notice it if you have a 1+ GHz machine, but it's still there. ( In fact, I tried it on a 2 GHz machine and couldn't tell a difference in response...but that's more due to the fact it's just a fast machine in general, but that still does not convince me it did not make a negative difference. )

I think this is one setting people everywhere are confused about.

Forgive my 'short-sidedness'. I keep on thinking telepathy really works laugh

pIII 850 secc2/Soyo 6BA+100/high amp 425w psu

512m pc133 c2 RAM/4xMaxtor HDD's RAID 0

Leadtek Ti200, 27.20's/Hercules GTXP/Monsoon speakers

Logitech goodies/winXP

Those setting seem to get the framerates up, but the funny thing is felt speed seems the same. I'll need to play with this more as I find with this o/s, fps doesn't seem to be 'everything'. As you can imagine swapping is very hard for me to see anyway let alone a system that does it well.