Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
valery

Irq_not_less_or_equal :(

Hello everybody ...

Under windows XP, I usually receive the known message IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL !

It mostly arrive when I am listening mp3's with winamp, after 5 minutes.

It sometimes arrives during games or others applications, too.

Somebody told me on another forum that it was a problem with the USB controller

on my motherboard ... (strange ! laugh )

So I tried to disabled this, but I still receive the message.

I think that this message is because I have too much devices on the same

IRQ ... (exemple: 3 devices on the IRQ 11, the IRQ of my graphic card)

How can I do to change the IRQ's ? I heard that win XP IRQ management is

really bad ...

What can I do ?

XP's irq management is really good. I remember the time when i had too much cards installed in the pc and windows ran out of irq's (windows98). Now with ACPI you can just put as many cardss in as you want, windows will take care of the irq.

You're problem must be a driver that wasn't written correctly to take full support of the ACPI. Can you post your systemspecs, maybe someone will be able to help you. What you can try is disable ACPI. YOu'll have to disable it in your bios and reinstall windowxp. Then every device should get it's own irq. However you will loose the ability to hibernate and to shutdown your pc with your powerbutton. But since most people don't use these functions...

Ohw, btw, what soundcard do you have? .

Hello ...

This is my system specifications:

Celeron 433 @ 540 Mhz

Geforce II MX 400 Nvidia

SND blaster 128 PCI

MIRO PCTV Rave

Realteck network card

External modem 56 k

IBM 40 Gb 7200 trm

mainboard= Solteck SL 65D (with a *** chipset VIA)

I hope that somebody will be able to help me ...

Thanks smile

Running certain software can also cause this too.

I don't know all the causes (and there are definately many, from what I've seen). But one I do know of (for certain) is running versions of BlackICE Defender Firewall previous to 2.9.caq

I know this exact cause probably doesn't apply to most people, but in case it does...

No, I don't use this software ...

Thanks to you :)))))

If somebody has got an idea please !!

So many things can cause this. If youve disabled acpi and updated all your drivers then i have no idea frown

btw its probably via related smile

Here is the simple solution.

This worked for me.

I had WinXP and was getting BSODs all over the place.

Any driver/software that you have that is not updated or made for WinXP,

GET RID OF IT.

In my case, it was my virus scan and my firewall, both of which happened to be Norton Antivirus and Blackice Firewall. As soon as I switched over to a free virus scan made for XP and Zonelabs Zonealarm firewall, all the problems disappeared. It has nothing to with IRQs or anything like that, unless you have a defective hardware...

Man dont post stuff when you really have no idea what you talkin about. There are enough rumors goin around about what the average person thinks about hardware. Just sayin Via is the problem is really dumb and non-informative.

The other people were right, its because of poorly written drivers/software or non-xp drivers/software.

BTW turning off ACPI is dumb if you really use XP.

hmmm thanks for that. Actually im quite insulted by your post, you cannot say i have no idea what im talking about, and i know what an 'average person' is and im not one of them when it comes to computers. I dont comment on things if i dont know about the subject, which is why i never bother with the network forums on this board (for example). Why do you think via has this reputation in the first place? People are not going to think it up for no reason, and I only beleve this because i have owned/used many via boards and have experienced the problems first hand.

And would you care to explain to me why turning ACPI off in XP is so bad, i realise its preferable to leave it on but if its causing problems then why not turn it off?

Carbiine is right via does have alot of issues with support hardly any board has been problem free once and a while you get a few good apples:D

Quote:

Man dont post stuff when you really have no idea what you talkin about. There are enough rumors goin around about what the average person thinks about hardware. Just sayin Via is the problem is really dumb and non-informative.

The other people were right, its because of poorly written drivers/software or non-xp drivers/software.

BTW turning off ACPI is dumb if you really use XP.

Hey infinite, How bout you look around at some other Forums out there. You will see HOW many people are having issues with Boards that are running VIA chipsets versus ones that are not. The numbers are staggering. Not to say VIA sucks but it sure is funny whenever I hear or read about problems, one of the first things 90% of the time is VIA is in the scheme somewhere. You don't hear of all these problems with people running Intel stuff...coincidenc? I don't think so. Hell, I'm running a VIA based board(see sig) and I'll be damned if I'm gonna defend them. I've had too many problems to offer a defense for VIA. And before you say "Oh how do you know it's your Board?" Well. I can run the EXACT SAME hardware and configuration in my NON-VIA based baord and I never have a problem whatsoever.

Mike

I have the exact same problem as valery... VIA VT82C686B as the Southbrigde... I use SB Audigy. This is really desperating! frown

SHIN-MAGUS, VALERY, Have you tried moving your PCI cards around. I find it hard ot believe that everything is wanting to jump on IRQ11 with the Video. I know Windows2000 did that a lot, but I have yet to see it with XP. One thing you need to check is your Motherboard manual. It should tell you what PCI slot is assigned to what IRQ. Do not put and PCI cards in PCI slot 1 if you are running AGP graphics. I would try moving the cards around.

Mike

yes, he's right. My stability mentioned above was short lived. It turns out that culprit appears to be the VIA USB driver native to the VP6...it doesn't like to share an IRQ (it was sharing with my ehternet card). All my cards share with each other fine, but the system still froze regularly (like every 20 minutes). I put a card I had pulled out back in and suddenly the USB had its own IRQ...whoilla, no crashes since yesterday...even with 1gb ram and under heavy load. This may be why many people recommend turning ACPI off so you can guarantee unique IRQs for your devices.

I still don't use the latency patch, since the YT bios lets you set the PCI latency to 0 manually.

Hope this helps...

:}

Just got shot of my VIA/Athlon combo because I was sick and tired of BSODs and other problems with stability. I saw instability problems when running Linux and Solaris on the same hardware too.... by the way, when I say instability I mean not being able to keep the machine up without a reboot or crash for more than 1 week.

Switched to Intel chip and Intel mobo and guess what? No instability whatsoever. No crashes, no rubbish.

I will never buy another VIA based board or AMD based chip until they sort out the problems once and for all.

hehe this board is now so pro-intel its not funny smile but with good reason.

I think it is all a matter of luck with AMD/VIA. I know some fellas that have no probs at all yet they are running out of date drivers, cards all over the place, some pieces of old hardware etc. etc. Yet on the flip side I know others with years and years of technical experience who cannot get their AMD/VIA system stable at all even with all the latest drivers and BIOS updates.

I think some combinations of hardware work and others don't.

However, It may be a case of how the term "Unstable system" is defined. Some people may say that as long as the system doesn't crash during their daily 2hr game of CS then that is stable. Others (who work with servers for a living usually) consider that only when a system can be stress tested for 1 month continuously without the slightest problem should it be deemed stable.

I sit somewhere in the middle. I never turn my system off. I expect it to always work no matter waht I do. I expect the odd crash but I also expect that crash to be to do with dodgy software not something like THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER etc. That seems to plague VIA/AMD users.

At the end of the day it is all subjective. What is one mans scrap is another mans Rolls Royce.

However, seeing the number of VIA/AMD users on these boards and others complaining of this problem and that I feel that there MUST be some truth in it all.

Just my $0.02

So you get rid of 1 problem and create another, via just is amazing. Why do you guys put up with this from via, its crazy. This IRQ not equal thing can be a million things, just cos 1 person gets it working by installing patch number 10,000 doesnt mean it will work for everyone else.