Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cmmahone

VIA and the Band

I am having some of the instability problems I would read about i.e. Infinite Loop, lots of BSOD, etc. So I read that loading the new VIA 4.37 Drivers in the hpe they would solve some of my stability problems. They did, but as a side-affect. I now have a "band" on the left side of my screen.

The band exhibits the following characteristics:

- The band runs from top to bottom.

- It contains , what appears to be the same options as the "My Documents" folder.

- These options include "Folder Tasks," "Other Places," and "Details."

- There is no other lettering on the band.

- Right-clicking on the band, reveals no menu to close it.

- Left-clicking on the band, reveals no menu to close it.

As a side-effect to this or because of this my "Taskbar and Start Menu" icon under the control panel is ineffective. But the icon does work under "SAFE" mode.

If I go into the Desktop Properties, the background picture appears normal. But when I go to the actual desktop, the desktop picture is obscured (instead of repositioned) by the band.

Reloading old VIA drivers has no-effect.

I have searched the following Websites for information with no luck:

- Microsoft

- VIA

- NTCompatible

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

My System Specs:

Processor: AMD 1.4 Athlon

RAM: 768 Mb

Sound Card: SB Live Latest Drivers

MB: Soyo Dragon - Latest BIOS update

Video Card: Asus Geforce 3 - Drivers 21.83

Can you drag it around anywhere? I've done this once or twice, where you create a new toolbar on the desktop and don't realize it. Granted, right-clicking should give you a response as well. Check your Active Desktop settings as well. Maybe there's something goofy in there.

/L.A

Could possibly be a defective video card. Been there done that. Try another video card if you have one laying around. If it works right more than likely the Geforce card is DOA.

It only happen when I load the latest VIA drivers. If I roll my changes back the band disappears. The catch is that "the later drivers fix some instability problems."

So I was looking of a way to load the drivers and get rid of the band too.

You don't really need the 4-in-1s...I didn't install them at all, and I have minimal problems (sometimes desktop freezes when I exit an OpenGL game). I use the 21.81 Dets, and got all the possible updates from the Windows Update site. That's it really smile