Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DARTH maul

Should I disable ACPI so all my PCI devices have their own I

I have a theory why my SB Live gives me popping/crackling problems on my A7V (VIA KT133 chipset). When I ran the same setup with Windows 98 and 98SE, no sound problems at all, but nothing in my systems shared IRQ's!!!

Now that Windows XP and XP Pro make all the PCI device use the same IRQ, IRQ 9 in my case, that may be causing the sound problem!!!

Thats all I can think of at this point.

How do I safely disable ACPI to standard PC mode?

The Live! issues are due to the fact that creative did not follow PCI specifications all the way. While ACPi may be the problem, I would get ahold of the Via latency patch and make sure you have the latest 4-in-1's.

You'll need to first change the ACPI PC to Standard PC in device manager, then reboot and go into BIOS and disable ACPI.

Personally, I have not had any luck playing with ACPI on any system: always resulted in a reinstall frown

Oh, and as if I'm looking for trouble, I picked up a Live 5.1 OEM and stuck it in my VP6 (Apollo Pro 133A+686B). I am not having problems, of course, as always. I do have the drivers off Creative's site as well as the latency patch installed.

I personally wouldn't disable ACPI, but it is your call, not mine, and not recommended.

There are also known Creative DMA issues period, regardless of OS that can cause this same problem. I know Creative is aware of this and working on a resolution/workaround, but nothing solid.

Set the motherboard Bios entry "PCI Latency Timer" to 64. SB Live and Audigy cards benefit greatly.

ACPI disabling through a driver change leads to serious problems.

I disabled ACPI in the BIOS before I install WinXP, now all my devices have there own IRQ, one down side is that you need to press the power button to switch off the pc now ;(

deathwish try enablen APM under power option

Before doing anything too drastic, you may want to try disabling pnp o/s, set to 'no', then try assigning IRQ's manually. I would suggest keeping ACPI enabled if ALL your hardware was made say, summer of 2000-present. It should work better than 'plug n' pray', up to you, I used to do with the '98-ME junk.