Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Junglizt

Consistency Check & Windows Update

Here´s the situation :

I have a computer with Windows XP Pro (2600) and there are two things i´m wondering about.

How can i disable the consistency check (the pc has a fat32 table instead of ntfs , changing to ntfs is not an option)

When i go to the Windows Update website i get errors while trying to install the critical updates (no updates were installed , the following failed to install etc...)

Any ideas are appreciated.confused

I'm having the same problem now as well.

I thought id do a dual boot of 98/xp Pro yesterday and it was fine until I tried to update in win XP and found it gets to the lisence agreement and is either blank or says page cannot be found/action canceled(i dont click anything), and if I just press accept it just says 'downloading 0k' goes to the end of the dl and fails.

Anyone got any ideas?

It was working fine before the last 2 installs of Pro and i havent changed anything..

Junglizt: It's possible the update is already installed/newer, depending on what it is of course. I've had some issues downloading driver updates when I had newer drivers than what WinUpd thought. If it's a system/security update, you can download them by hand and install them that way.

Droney, and Junglizt too: It's also possible that the site was just being worked on or were down at the time, and weren't behaving properly. Droney, did WinUpd work in one OS and not the other? Or did both goof up on it?

/L.A

Both OS's, win98se and XP Pro, and my friend cant dl anything from it either.

So i have no idea what the go is.

Repartition, Format, Install.

Fat32 is cranky. But then again, so is windows....

The WindowsUpdate site does seem to go down fairly regularly. You can normally get to it, and select downloads, but the downloads never start.

If you leave it until tomorrow, you'll probably find that the site will start again.

Doesnt work here either frown or on a friends PC, is it down or something?

For windows update problems, read my post in this forum (Can't use windows update?!?). It seems to be a problem with the DNS caching on the ISPs side. The workaround listed in the thread worked for me...

Also read @ http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23666.html if you want to use alternative DNS servers from UUNET

I must have had a different problem to you as it now works fine smile