Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Galilee

Performance on system?

Quote:

I have a K6-2 400 box with 256MB PC100 and it runs XP just fine. I put a GeForce 2 MX in it and it usually only drops below 40fps in UT on really big maps. Turn of system restore, and use some tweaks you can find on this site. APK had a really good guide around here somewhere for disabling unneeded services in Windows 2000 that translates really well to XP, and will help a lot.

If decide to go for it (if you haven't already), check the compatibility lists on this site, and download all the drivers you're going to need ahead of time. Some of XP's built in drivers work really well, but others but others don't quite cut it. And if your motherboard is fairly old, you might consider flashing to the newest BIOS just to be safe.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give it a try. It probably has to be a dual boot with WinMe/XP because I have a really stupid Minolta digital cam that only has Win9x drivers. Irritating as hell frown

I wanted to update this thread some in regards to some performance tests I've been running. The memory bandwidth issue was discussed, and I wanted to go ahead and run that test and show it here to show that I have no problems doing so:

sandra5.jpg

sandra6.jpg

sandra7.jpg

I've no comments to make aside from there is a difference between memory BANDWIDTH and the performance it provides. Bandwidth is one thing, latency is completely separate.

I'd just like to say that i have never had an Intel chip and i am very proud of AMD especially for there prices and for there gaming capabilities. As for Intel i dont plan on buying one of there chips ever. I think AMD Have done very well to get to where they are today and one question what happened to cyrix are those chips still in production or have they stopped altgether?

AMD1.2 AThlon Thunderbird

512MB PC133 Hyundai RAM

64MB GeForce2MX 200

Quote:

says 4and20, well glad to know that u swimm in money, why dont u throw me, "poor entusiast" some.

Dude don't make any assumptions here I bought my motherboard and processors used so that I could save money. I am not saying that you are poor dumb ***, I am probably ten times more poor than you. I haven't had a real job in almost a year. My typical day consists of waking up around 3 pm getting stoned and eating whatever canned food I can find at my grandparent’s summerhouse. Anyway all that is beside the point, I am a penny pinchin' mofo myself. However I will not sacrifice stability and compatibility in anyway. All I was saying is it is not worth buyin that amd/via stuff cause it is trash cheap dirty trash. I used to have a small biz selling custom built pcs to people around where I live. It was just me and my boy running it. well we started using via chipsets and amd sh1t right around the time when they hit 1Ghz and we built tons of them they were flying out the door cause people liked the price. Then the **** hit the fan. Every single one of those computers had one if not many support issues to deal with. I spent 2 months just sorting all that **** out. We used all the best sh1t also abit,asus and msi mobos, nvidia and matrox graphics. Intel and 3com nics (3com was the worst with via) People had all sorts of troubles with the usb printers/scanners/cameras. bsod's with agp 3d stuff, pci cards not being recognized by the system, modems that would need the computer to be rebooted to reconnect to the net, etc. etc. etc. and now that I have lost my once successful biz due to the advice of a friend of mine who was telling me "amd is great, outperforms Intel and costs less" that may be true but that is not the whole picture. U see I was always pro Intel except for that hellish 5 month period of my life. And now that I am broke and in debt for my mistakes I think I am intel for life. There is one and only one promising thing in amd's future that i can see and that is nvidia. cause via/ali/sis are all trash and fuking amd can't even make a good chipset for thier processors (i.e. no usb support on mpx mobos, etc. WTF) If nvidia can make the nforce fly and make it stable then amd might finally have a good platform. The problem that i see with the nforce is that nvidia is aiming at low budget which is ok but i think they should make some high end nforce chipsets as well. O well that is enough babbling but that is what happens when you type a post watching the sun rise cause you can't sleep cause you don't know what you are going to eat tomorrow cause your once flourishing biz crumbled due to the trash that amd and via are unleashing on us.

Personally, and I am going to be in the minority here, I like Via. I've thrown everything I can think of at a Via chipset, and lived to tell. SBLive! +686B working right now. I've still got one or two pieces that were presents, but for the most part, my PC's are all from my money. I like Via, and for home use and for me, it has proven to be a good solution for me.

Would I use Via in a server setting? No, mainly because I'm not ignorant enough to think that businesses will be okay with it. Also, I know they've been doing server stuff longer than AMD, and have been doing it well. At this point, every last bit of speed ain't as important as your job. Rambus is good in a server setting, but not for the average joe. Also, while Intel may be concerned with the future of computing, a number of people are concerned with the fastest performance for the least buck.

Also, Sandra really ends up being a good benchmark for generic systems and raw performance. When it comes to complex systems (i.e. SMP setups), it doesn't give the best picture overall.

We all know the current P4 incarnation is a POS. I don't really have any allegience, save my wallet, and I think that AMD's PR system will go out the window when compared to the Northwood.

I am amazed how SiS has fared within the past year. Now, SiS and performance can actually be used in relation to each other, and ment seriously. ALi...well, they are still trash, and IMO, always will be. I don't care what the reviews have said, Acer Labs is incapable of producing a quality product of anything.

so you are saying via is cool with you cause it is cheap and you are not using it proffessionaly and you have the patience to work through the problems.

I need my system to be exactly as is and not give me any problems.

I haven't run into the problems most people have, at least as far as Via is concerned. I'm very well aware that I am in a very distinct minority here, and that a good chunk of people have had Via related issues. My computer issues tend to stem from user error, and sometimes OS error.

I've read the Via horror stories, and the animosity toward them is very understandable. I haven't had issues with Via, and I have had 5 via-based boards, only one busted. I sold another one in perfect working order (to fund my duallie).

For server settings, I wouldn't use something that could be bad news for me if it went down the tubes at all. I'd stick with Intel and ServerWorks in this case, especially considering I don't have to pay for it.

For home use, yes, Via is fine, IMO. At the current stage, Via, and AMD would be inappropriate for the server environment. Via has had a bad history, and this is AMD's first step into the server ring--with no prior record to back it up.

If it works for you, go for it.