Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rgodart

2nd harddrive not listed in my computer

a friend of mine has 2 harddrives both plugged on a ATA100 controller on a msi motherboard.

In windows 2000 and xp only the first 30 gig drive is showed, not the 10 gig one.

The only thing we found to make it visible was going to computer management and make it a dinamic disk.

Is that the right way to do it??? I guess not, cuz he has to format the drive when he does that, and now he has backups on it so a format is out of the question. Can anyone help???

Thanks.

Double check your jumpers located on your Hard Drives from your manufactures installing manual or online. If you have 2 HD's that are of different brands, sometimes the ATA100 cable with a msi mobo has a hard time distinguishing which drive is which.. sometimes it won't register them at all. Happened to my friend one time and he ended up just buying another hard drive of the same brand and everything was fixed. If anyone else can help this guy out, please do. smile

That's interesting. Before that he had another mobo of msi, and he had the same problem, but that was in win2k. One drive is IBM the other is quantum i think. The ibm has it's jumper configured for master, the other for slave, so i guess that's right.

Make sure the first HD is jumpered to Master and the second one is jumpered to Slave. Cable-select may also work, but to be 100% sure, its best to use the master/slave method.

Also, be sure to go into the BIOS and confirm both HD's are present. These days motherboards should be able to auto-detect .. if so, try auto-detecting both of them again.