Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
M_A_G_I_C

Dumb question but im dumb

when i start linux mandrake 9, it loads me into the terminal, not the place where i select my login. Is there a simplecommand i can type that will load linux?

You didn't select to have X start automagically when you reboot. I beleive all you have to do to fix this is login as root and type kdm (if you have kde instlalled, if not type gdm for gnome). If I remember correctly kdm or gdm should then start up whenever you reboot....

ok that problem is solved.. i got another, i dnt get this whole install thing. i got have tar.gz file, lets say that it is called linux-3.1.b4.tar.gz and it is located in /bin/src. I goto kernal and i type ./configure something. Could you tell me exactly what to type with the info i gave you. Thanks

If you are just starting to learn linux, I would avoid using any package that ends in tar.gz unless it's necessary. For any RPM based installation (Redhat, Suse, Mandrake, etc.) I would suggest sticking to the .rpm packages. To find out if there is a package available you could run a search on rpmfind.net or from the distro's homepage. Then it's as simple as opening a terminal change to the super-user by typing su and entering the password. Then type:

rpm -ivh package.you.are.installing.rpm

tar.gz files are a little trickierbecause you must first extract them using:

tar -zxvf package.name.tar.gz

you should now see a directory name something similar to the package you are trying to install, cd into it. Usually there is a README or INSTALL text file which will go into detail what needs to be done to install the package. Usually the process to install is login as root and type:

./configure

make

make install

Depending on what you are trying to install, it might be a little overwhelming at first, but as you get more comfortable with linux in general you'll pick up on things.