Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Speed4Ever

XP-What do you think of it now?

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

Now that I have "un-dumbed" it down, I really like it. Plus, I can now run more of my older games on it.

Well if I could run it..... I've been using XP since the first beta all the way up to the RTM. It's only the RTM that's had the "infinite loop" problems. That's why 2000 is still my main OS. Also due to the frustrations of dealing with the small oddities in XP that I don't feel like wasting my time on.

i only get Inf. Loop Errors with Detonator 4 drivers + DivX ;-) encoded videos. other than that, i have been using it also since some of the first betas, and as of now (RTM) i love it, i thought it was kick-a.ss ever since build 2446, although 2526 was my fav build, 2600 is great too.

what impressed me the most was no more need to click 'start' 'turn off computer' 'turn off' anymore...a simple push of the power button automatically turns it off! wow! that's how it should have been all along!

three, that was there all the time dude smile

I like most of it, and what I don't like I can turn off.. wicked smile

It was an ACPI function in Win2K for sure, and I think may have shown itself in Win98 and WinME. It was found in the "Power" control applet (or you could get to it from the screensaver selection tab and click the "Power..." button). I use the button to go into Standby mode myself.

heh, i guess i'm one of those folks that was too lazy to mess around with those settings...heh, i also didn't know that you could view picture files in thumbnails under explorer :P

..also i've only had the inf loop problem one time, that's it...i guess i'm lucky, using the recent xp driver from Nvidia 21.83 on my Leadtek Geforce2mx SH Pro.

has anybody checked out the Remote Connection feature? It Kicks A$$, i like it alot better than VNC

I think once SP1 comes out it should be even better. As for now it's still got some quirks to it. One I noticed and don't remember it in the beta 2 or RC1 is XP keeps thinking you have a disc in that you don't and haven't for a while. It's annoying as you have to right click on that drive so you can hit open. So far so good tho. I'll end up moving my other rig to it in a while.

wow, so Im not the only one getting infinite loops in the detonator drivers... Every time I update, it think its gone then a few days later - BAM! it gets me again... it happens sometimes when I launch a game or movie, and I found that turning off the NV Quick Tweak thing in msconfig helps sometimes.

OTHER THAN THAT, Nothing has managed to crash XP on me, and Im also impressed with the game performance. It is a little slower than 2k for 2D stuff though (dont argue with this - why do u think the requirements are greater? - If you have a very fast system you probably wont tell the difference)

But yes, over all I think its the best windows to use. It's a good balance of compatibility/speed/stability.

However, if I could get games performing well under 2K (like many people tell me it does) I would use that, because 2K is XP without the bloat and bugs.

It's both fortunate, and strange, that I havent seen these Infinite loop errors yet. Is there a connection with the detonators and a certain type(s) of configuration(s)?

I used to run the 22.83's, am now running 23.11. Not a problem yet.

I'd love to know more about this...

-Yes, it's stable, so Win 3.1 is the same ting smile

-The look of XP is great

-Multiusager is sameting of Mac OS 8/9??

-Microsoft is the Leader for OS, so it's better?

XP=Win2000 for dummies.

But hey it does the job it was designed for and i would have to say well done MS as its actually an excellent OS.

Personally, I like Win2k better for performance wise but WinXP is pretty much as good as Win2k. Plus, WinXP has better GUI and other good features like ability to hide programs that are run at the startup but you don't use often. Remote Desktop is another thing I like about WinXP.

Quote:

XP=Win2000 for dummies.

XP=Win2k with new features that dummies can't figure out how to disable wink

Seriously, I don't really see that much of a difference from 2k now that I've tweaked it a little and turned off a bunch of unneeded services. However, most of those same services were enabled by default on Win2k just like they are on XP.

I just don't see why such a big deal has been made of XP. I mean, it's NT 5.1 which makes it the WinME of the NT world, only it actually works.

Wow a quote from me!

Thing is that i have yet to see anything that i can run on XP that i cant on 2000, so not much point in me using it.

BTW stuff like remote desktop were already in win2000, just there were tucked away so they wernt so obvious. Remote desktop is in netmeeting for example.

[EDIT]

I just have to say that if transport tycoon deluxe worked on XP that would give me a reason to 'upgrade' cos that game 'rocks'. smile

I think Rollercoaster Tycoon was a major reason for Atreyu to upgrade, because it rocks (as you can see, I am from the US and I don't need quotes around "rocks" when used in a sentence HAHAHAHAH!!!).

Is WinXP oversimplified? I thought Win2K was WAY oversimplified when coming from NT4 and Novell, but I got used to it and really liked the platform quite a bit. Almost all of the statements being made about WinXP now were being made about Win2K when it was released. Personally, I dig the new Start Menu and some of the other features (larger thumbnails for picture browsing, which was all I used ACDesee [sp] for anyway) along with the major performance increase on faster machines.

W2k just seems more stable...thats all smile

Oh yeah, tonight I am gonna see if carmageddon 2 works on my Wxp Home ver pc.

/me crosses fingers.

It doesnt work smile

If it did then xp would totally 'rock', see now your just giving me an excuse to say 'rock'.

The main reason I went to XP in the first place was because it was more compatible with a certain piece of hardware, namely my ATI TV Wonder VE. I do AutoCAD work from home, so I use it a lot but I didn't have much luck under Win2k with ATI's beta drivers. With Win2k SP1 I would stop errors, but even with older beta builds of XP it would work just fine.

Now that I've switched to a Hauppauge tuner card, I think my problems probably had more to do with ATI's junk drivers.

It had a LOT more to do with ATI's drivers. We had a ton of Rage Pro cards here on our engineer's boxes, but when we went from 2D to 3D (parasolid-based) applications, it was hell. They would crash all the time doing just about anything. I swapped them out with GeForce MX cards until we can get them new systems next year, and they have been fine ever since.

I believe that XP will saw it's full potential after a couple of SP are releashed, thus fixing all the incompatibility problems that it has.I was using win2k for a couple of years, and it was hard to convince myself to upgrade to XP.In general win2k is faster than XP (and i don't mean faster in terms of booting or anthing like this, i mean it in terms of multitasking and heavy load use).

I am quite happy with XP since it's much lighter than 2k but it still needs work to be done.But i think that after 10 years MS is getting somewhere. wink

I switched because of two things: looks and explorer refresh. When I delete a file in win2k, it takes half a sec for it to go away and when I empty the trash in win2k it takes one sec for the desktop to be available again. in XP both is instant!

But I have three problems so far though:

1. Exiting openGL games causes the PC to hard lock (no bsod)

2. Starship troopers dont work

3. Explorer forgets windows sizes/settings (really annying frown )

Ok well ive gone and bought it now. I was just looking for ways to spend some moola. Has anyone had any luck getting transport tycoon deluxe dos/windows95 working? I would really love to be able to play this game again.

You can download the win95 version from http://www.underdogs.cjb.net if anyone fancies giving it a try.

Guess im a dummy afterall ;(

"rock"